Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"apply to enclosed items" doesn't seem to do anything

Hi all! I recently had the HDD in my iMac replaced . When it came back from the shop, they'd created a dummy admin user. I restored from Time Machine, deleted the dummy and everything seemed to be OK. However, I have a large number of files on an external RAID (my photo library, etc) and I noticed that some of the subfolders don't have the correct permissions. I figured "No problem. I'll just select the top folder, add my actual account to the permissions, delete the dummy user from the permissions and tell it to "Apply to enclosed items."

The thing is, the first couple of times I did that (a few weeks back) on some folders on the RAID, it took a long time to propagate. This makes sense because, for example, my photo library has several million files and tons of folders in it. But I noticed some other stuff that had the little red mark on the folder, and the permissions DON'T have my username on them. So, again, I go to the top folder, update the permissions, and tell it to apply. It finishes in a second or two, and the folders that don't have my user assigned STILL don't have them assigned.

These are all data files on the external drive. Not the home folder or anything like that. I'm also concerned that maybe the other attempts to update that APPEARED to work, didn't actually work (e.g., maybe 90%) but there's no way to know without drilling into each subfolder, etc. Which is not practical.

So my question is...is there a reason why "Apply to enclosed items" wouldn't do anything? Yes, I unlock the permissions first. And if I select the folder where I don't have permission, and give myself permission, the folder is now OK, but the files (and folders) in it still don't have the permissions updated. Oh, and one last thing, which might be relevant: it looks like the dummy admin account was assigned ownership of everything. I deleted that account after I'd restored my "real" one and now when look at the permissions for any of these files, I see an entry that says "fetching" for that deleted account.

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 4:39 PM

I think I figured it out. Well, part of it, anyway. The problem seems to be primarily associated with that missing user. I created a new user with the same name as the deleted one, and the OS applied those permissions from the old temp user to the new one. Then I had better luck changing permissions at the top level and propagating them down. Although not 100%. For some stuff, I moved all of the incorrectly set files to a new folder, applied changes to the folder, which propagated down, and then moved the files back.

Time Machine is having a field day with this. Suddenly, my incremental backup went from 10-20gb to 2.5tb. And for most of those files, only the permissions changed or I moved them out of a folder and then back between backups.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2021 4:39 PM in response to MrSavBear

I think I figured it out. Well, part of it, anyway. The problem seems to be primarily associated with that missing user. I created a new user with the same name as the deleted one, and the OS applied those permissions from the old temp user to the new one. Then I had better luck changing permissions at the top level and propagating them down. Although not 100%. For some stuff, I moved all of the incorrectly set files to a new folder, applied changes to the folder, which propagated down, and then moved the files back.

Time Machine is having a field day with this. Suddenly, my incremental backup went from 10-20gb to 2.5tb. And for most of those files, only the permissions changed or I moved them out of a folder and then back between backups.

"apply to enclosed items" doesn't seem to do anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.