Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Access after updating and migrating

This was also the subject in June 2021 at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252868173?login=true

After migrating user files into a new Mac Mini running Monterey (12.1) using Time Machine as the source, all or nearly all of the user files were designated as having "custom access" for the user, although the user was assigned read and write permissions. The effects were: a) files could be opened but not saved if changed; I had to Save As with a different name then delete the original and revert the name on the new file, b) I have to enter my password to change the name on any folder or file in my Home folder or to delete any file or folder in my Home folder. This is a huge time burner and worth some effort to fix.

The iMac that produced the Time Machine files was updated to Monterey (12.1) and its user files were migrated from an older iMac's Time Machine with the same result I am reporting here for the new Mac Mini.

The Time Machine has been put to work on the Mac Mini so the previous backups are no longer available, which means all available copies of the files/folders have this custom access assignment.

In Terminal, I tried sudo chown -R Username Homefolder to no effect. I followed Mac Support advice and copied the files onto a hard drive (not Time Machine), re-installed Monterey and copied the files back, which had no effect. I logged in as root (hoping it would have more power than sudo) and applied the same chown -R Username Homefolder to no effect and then applied chown to a single file within the home folder to no effect.

The conversation at the link given above provides more information about permissions but ended with no conclusion—perhaps because the problems created by the custom access were never defined. This seems to be a bug that crawls in under certain circumstances of upgrade and migrate. Is there a solution or do I have to put up with this time burner until I have opened, renamed and re-saved all affected files? Info image follows:

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 1:59 PM

I think I found a way.

chmod -N pathtofile removes all access control entries for a file or folder and chmod -RN does this recursively. I assume I should not apply this to any folder created for the OS, e.g., Documents, Downloads, etc., but I have applied it recursively to folders I have created in the home folder. I will put all individual files in the Home folder into a new folder and take them out after removing the ACLs. Since everything I have found to be problematic is in the Home folder, this should solve my problem.

I hope folks find this posting because there seems to be a lot of them out there with the same or nearly same problem.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 1:59 PM in response to Barney-15E

I think I found a way.

chmod -N pathtofile removes all access control entries for a file or folder and chmod -RN does this recursively. I assume I should not apply this to any folder created for the OS, e.g., Documents, Downloads, etc., but I have applied it recursively to folders I have created in the home folder. I will put all individual files in the Home folder into a new folder and take them out after removing the ACLs. Since everything I have found to be problematic is in the Home folder, this should solve my problem.

I hope folks find this posting because there seems to be a lot of them out there with the same or nearly same problem.

Jan 16, 2022 6:34 AM in response to Farse

Custom access means there are ACLs on the folder. There are ACLs on almost all of your home folders, but those won’t cause the problem you are having. They should not be on the files.

“group:everyone deny delete” is set on the folders to prevent accidental deletion. If at some point you used “apply to enclosed items” on one of the home folders, that ACL would be propagated to the files.

In Terminal, copy and paste this command:

ls -leO ~/Documents 

Does the output show that ACL or another after a file listing?

Jan 16, 2022 11:09 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your prompt response. applying the command listed:

total 0

drwxrwxr-x+ 2 Arsenault staff - 64 Mar 24 2021 Cisdem PDF Converter OCR

0: group:everyone deny delete

drwxrwxr-x+ 7 Arsenault staff - 224 Oct 3 2016 Microsoft User Data

drwxrwxr-x+ 3 Arsenault staff - 96 Aug 9 2019 ODBC Documents

drwxrwxr-x+ 3 Arsenault staff - 96 Dec 5 2013 RDC Connections

drwxrwxr-x+ 2 Arsenault staff - 64 Sep 17 2013 Roxio Converted Items

But these are not items that I created or would open and modify so they wouldn't be a problem.

If I apply the list command to a folder that I created: ls -leO !/Attachments the following are two examples of the listings:

-rw-rw-r--@ 1 Arsenault staff hidden 162 Sep 14 2019 ~$5.2019 Board meeting.docx

-rw-rw-r--@ 1 Arsenault staff hidden 162 Oct 11 15:54 ~$idlines Literary Lite.docx

I've not had access to the option of 'apply to enclosed' on anything with 'custom access'. However, I did apply the chown recursively. But the problem arose immediately after the migration and also appeared on the upgraded iMac where I have taken no action at all. So, the question is whether this can be reversed/corrected and, if so, how?

Custom Access after updating and migrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.