Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 1st Gen Unable to Finish HomeKit Setup

Both my iPhone 12 and Apple TV 4K are signed into the same iCloud account and on the same wifi. I’m trying to finish Home Setup but when I click the “Finish Home Set Up” button, it just idles. My iPhone Bluetooth is on and discoverable, but the Apple TV doesn’t show up. I’ve updated the software on both devices, reset both devices, signet out and back into iCloud on both devices, and still nothing. I don’t have the setup code or the sticker. I’m at a loss at how else to do.

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 6:37 AM

9 replies

Aug 31, 2021 1:01 PM in response to mjmier4

Apple TV is strictly not a HomeKit accessory like other accessories. It doesn’t have to be added like third party devices; it should be known to Home app through iCloud already. There is very limited automation available for Apple TV (e.g. playing audio from Apple Music if condition are met). Nothing like video content selection.

On Apple TV, in Settings﹥AirPlay and HomeKit﹥Room﹥, select the appropriate/matching room.

Then it should be be listed in the Home app as well, for that room.

I’m trying to use my iPhone 12 to control it.

You can control your Apple TV with your iPhone, without the need for HomeKit and the Home app. Just use the software remote in Control Center. Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2021 8:25 AM in response to mjmier4

when I click the “Finish Home Set Up” button, it just idles.

Did you give the home a custom name?

Did you assign named rooms to the home?

Do you have a home hub device defined?

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

I don’t have the setup code or the sticker.

That is not needed for Apple’s own devices, as they should already link through iCloud. That is more for third party HomeKit accessories.

on the same wifi

Are both using the same SSID? Some home networks are unfortunately configured with separate SSID network names for the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band. Then that would essentially create two separate networks. I would advise against that: Instead use the same SSID name for both bands, bridging them into one logical network, and let devices decide how they connect best.

Aug 31, 2021 4:00 PM in response to Urquhart1244

On Apple TV, in Settings﹥AirPlay and HomeKit﹥Room﹥, select the appropriate/matching room.

Then it should be be listed in the Home app as well, for that room.

I did this, but when I try to select the room, it takes me to a screen that shows "Add This Apple TV to Your Home" and it gives me directions to 1. Unlock your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Done), 2. Turn on Bluetooth (Done) 3. Hold the device close to this Apple TV (Done). However, the Apple TV does not show up in my bluetooth menu to pair, nor does my iPhone show up in the Apple TV Bluetooth menu. I seem to be stuck at this last step.

Apple TV 4K 1st Gen Unable to Finish HomeKit Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.