Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay and Vendors storing card numbers?

I just tried to use Apple Pay to purchase a shirt at Filson in Seattle. The transaction could not go through because the card number's last four digits are for a card that was compromised many months ago AND is has not been one of the cards available in my Apple Wallet for as many months. I checked to see which cards are in my Wallet and the card number that came up when I clicked on Apple Pay to check out was not there. So how is it that Filson or any online retailer can think my Wallet contains a card that is not there? It has been literally months since the change was made. I can only conclude they are harvesting numbers and storing them to maybe avoid paying Apple Pay, or what, I don't know. Am I wrong about this? Do I misunderstand how the system is supposed to work?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 10:36 PM

Have you used the old card with that retail store before. If so then that would be the reason I would think. Stores normally use cards that have been saved to an account. So even if you have removed all the information from the old card from your wallet but not all stores you used that card at and it’s still stored in your information with their store then to me that would be the reason. Hopefully this helps and I didn’t over look or misunderstand your question. Also if you have multiple Apple devices and they’re not linked together then maybe the old cards information is still in your wallet on a different device. That has happened to me before. Not with Apple but with android.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2021 10:36 PM in response to davehart

Have you used the old card with that retail store before. If so then that would be the reason I would think. Stores normally use cards that have been saved to an account. So even if you have removed all the information from the old card from your wallet but not all stores you used that card at and it’s still stored in your information with their store then to me that would be the reason. Hopefully this helps and I didn’t over look or misunderstand your question. Also if you have multiple Apple devices and they’re not linked together then maybe the old cards information is still in your wallet on a different device. That has happened to me before. Not with Apple but with android.

Aug 31, 2021 7:18 PM in response to davehart

Your card numbers are never transmitted when you use Apple Pay, so that wouldn't be an issue. If you removed your compromised card from your wallet, there would be no possibility of selecting the incorrect card. It may be possible that your bank is not authorizing payment because at some point your card was compromised; perhaps failing to update their token records or the card behind the scenes.

There is a brief overview at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210665

Aug 31, 2021 10:05 PM in response to muguy

Again, the old card was compromised and removed from my Wallet many months ago and so is not there to be used; AND, the replacement card, my current one, has been used successfully using Apple Pay at other locations and websites. The retailer is trying to use a card that has been defunct for months through Apple Pay even though it is not in my Wallet. The bank is quite willing to authorize purchases using my current card, but if the retailer is using a long out of date card number of course it will not go through. Question is: where is the retailer getting the old card number if it is not in my Wallet when I use Apple Pay?

Aug 31, 2021 10:57 PM in response to jamcollins

When you use the Apple Wallet, only the cards contained in it can be accessed for payment. The old card is not in the Apple Wallet and I was using Apple Pay with the online retailer. The retailer is supposed to use the card in your Wallet, not go off and try using some other card. Even so, I had not used that debit card with that retailer before. I only have Apple Wallet installed on my iPhone Xs.

Aug 31, 2021 11:01 PM in response to muguy

I ended up using Apple Pay with a Visa Card that is in my Wallet successfully with the retailer, but only the old defunct debit card would come up on the retailer's site. I never used the old debit card with that retailer as far as I can remember, but in any case, the retailer should only be able to run a transaction with what is in the wallet, right?

Aug 31, 2021 11:10 PM in response to jamcollins

Well I'll be darned. It turns out my Wallet contents were not identical on my Mac and my iPhone. I wasn't even aware that the Wallet was on the Mac. I don't ever remember setting up cards through the Mac, only on the iPhone. So, a couple years ago or so, I would suppose, I set up the Wallet on my iPhone and entered the cards and it was apparently ported over to my Mac. But not the change in cards. Unless my memory is totally shot which is not only possible but probable. Anyhow, thanks for pointing me in the right direction jamcollins.

Apple Pay and Vendors storing card numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.