Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Operation not permitted with my personal Documents Folder using the Terminal App.

I just updated my system to 11.5.2 (20G95).

After the reboot, suddenly, using Terminal, I can not access anymore my personal Documents Folder.

I can cd into my Documents Folder but I can not ls. I am receiving the Operation not permitted warning message.

my_username@my_computername Documents % ls
ls: .: Operation not permitted

Using the Terminal App, I can access without any issue other personal Folders such as Desktop, Downloads, etc. but the issue is with my Documents folder.

I can access without any issue using the Finder Application but the problem is with the Terminal Application that I can not access the Documents Folder.

drwx------@  5 my_username  staff   160B Aug 31 17:21 Desktop
drwx------@ 17 my_username  staff   544B Sep  1 13:29 Documents
drwx------+  4 my_username  staff   128B Aug 28 06:46 Downloads

Everything was working fine before I updated the system.

What should I do? Thanks

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 1:30 PM

The issue was that somehow inside the Security and Privacy > Files and Folders ....the Documents Folder was uncheck. I check that box and quit Terminal and re-launch Terminal and now everything is working.

Similar questions

1 reply

Operation not permitted with my personal Documents Folder using the Terminal App.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.