You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2011 will not boot from USB stick

I have prepared several USB 2.0 sticks with bootable images for Centos 7 and 8. I have tried different ports and thumb drives. When I hold down "alt" key and start the Mac Mini I can see the USB stick and it says EFI Boot. All is normal. However, when I select that drive, the screen freezes and nothing else happens.

Any idea why this happens and how I can get installed from USB Drive?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2021 6:04 PM

macOS does not play well with Linux so it is not unusual for the macOS Startup Disk System Preference not to recognize a non-Apple OS boot disk.

I've never used CentOS so I'm not sure how it behaves on a Mac, but it would not be my choice to use on a Mac since Macs do require special configuration of drivers that may not be included in CentOS by default. Also I have seen a Mac Mini have boot issues which was due to the video driver and/or video configuration in the Linux installer. I remember I had to use a special boot parameter to the Linux kernel in order to get some Linux disks to boot on a Mini. I don't recall the specific setting as that was a few years ago.

If you want to use Linux on a Mac, then I suggest using Linux Mint or one of the Ubuntu flavors such as Kubuntu or Ubuntu-MATE as they should just work on a Mac. I know a co-worker has been installing Linux Mint on our organization's old Apple laptops for years because it just works.

I know when booting Knoppix Linux on a Mac that the Mac appears to be frozen on the boot picker menu and/or a black screen until Knoppix reaches the Desktop. This is due to the Apple hardware/firmware behavior which is very poor. Make sure to give Linux lots of time to finish booting just in case this is happening to CentOS as well. My guess is you will need to provide a custom kernel parameter during boot.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2021 6:04 PM in response to superjos_high_sierra

macOS does not play well with Linux so it is not unusual for the macOS Startup Disk System Preference not to recognize a non-Apple OS boot disk.

I've never used CentOS so I'm not sure how it behaves on a Mac, but it would not be my choice to use on a Mac since Macs do require special configuration of drivers that may not be included in CentOS by default. Also I have seen a Mac Mini have boot issues which was due to the video driver and/or video configuration in the Linux installer. I remember I had to use a special boot parameter to the Linux kernel in order to get some Linux disks to boot on a Mini. I don't recall the specific setting as that was a few years ago.

If you want to use Linux on a Mac, then I suggest using Linux Mint or one of the Ubuntu flavors such as Kubuntu or Ubuntu-MATE as they should just work on a Mac. I know a co-worker has been installing Linux Mint on our organization's old Apple laptops for years because it just works.

I know when booting Knoppix Linux on a Mac that the Mac appears to be frozen on the boot picker menu and/or a black screen until Knoppix reaches the Desktop. This is due to the Apple hardware/firmware behavior which is very poor. Make sure to give Linux lots of time to finish booting just in case this is happening to CentOS as well. My guess is you will need to provide a custom kernel parameter during boot.

Sep 5, 2021 4:29 PM in response to superjos_high_sierra

FYI, it may be possible to make the CentOS installers boot, but only if you are already familiar with using Linux if you really want or need CentOS. If the installer has issues booting on the Mac, then most likely the full installation will have the same issue, plus I'm not sure if CentOS includes the extra drivers that may be necessary for a Mac installation.

A better option is to install Linux into a Virtual Machine. For many use cases this may be more than sufficient.

Mac Mini 2011 will not boot from USB stick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.