Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive filling up with Other. Hard drive / storage full

Dear All,

I am running three Mac on one iCloud account: one old iMac (mid 2010, High Sierra), one 2017 iMac (Big Sur) and one 2013 MacAir (Catalina). 

The OS on the old iMac is too old and it will need replacing. 

All 3 computers are on iCloud, I have about 1.3TB of documents on the cloud that I share from one computer to the other.

My 121GB Mac Book Air had no memory left, despite saving everything on iCloud. I could not fix it and I decided to clear everything and reinstall new OS. I did the same with the old iMac. Both were perfect, but the old iMac is not connecting to iCloud anymore (not sure why, High Sierra?) The Mac Air was perfect for a few days, lot of memory. After a few days, the hard drive started filling up again, with "other"

One most annoying thing I have learnt in the past: the iCloud is often defaulting to “optimise Mac Storage (the full contents of iCloud Drive will be stored on this Mac if you have enough space”. I was clever this time and unticked the "optimise Mac Storage". I have done that on all my three computers.

Unfortunately, all my computers are still filling up with data. I have tried the "manage" utility, no success. I downloaded some app to clean my Mac (free to start, pay after...) no luck.

It is almost like there is something inside my iCloud that is filling up my computers with "other". Is that possible, a virus in my iCloud designed to fill-up my computers with useless data? After the re-install, my old iMac is not connecting to the iCloud and it is the only one not filling up. It is an iCloud problem? I am suggesting that but I am not qualified and I don't really know what is going on. It is driving me mad.

How can I stop my computer to fill up overnight and how can I clean up this "other"? I have tried a lot of the tutorials, tricks on the web, but I am not finding a working solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone based near Canterbury, Kent who could come to my work to fix it would be another option I would consider....

Many thanks,

Best wishes,

Yannick

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 2:41 AM

See the article What's in Others in your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Click on apple logo > about this Mac > storage > manage > others these data is encrypted , you can delete only caches and cookies contents from user library .

However if , iCloud data is to be reduced see some articles .

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Save space on your MacBook Air - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 2:41 AM in response to yannick chastang

See the article What's in Others in your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Click on apple logo > about this Mac > storage > manage > others these data is encrypted , you can delete only caches and cookies contents from user library .

However if , iCloud data is to be reduced see some articles .

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Save space on your MacBook Air - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2021 5:56 AM in response to yannick chastang

yannick chastang wrote: ..... One most annoying thing I have learnt in the past: the iCloud is often defaulting to “optimise Mac Storage (the full contents of iCloud Drive will be stored on this Mac if you have enough space”. I was clever this time and unticked the "optimise Mac Storage". I have done that on all my three computers.

If you disable "Optimise Mac Storage" all your cloud documents will be mirrored on your Mac as shadow copies and not just a few; you will not be saving any storage on your Mac at all. All documents will be in both place - in iCloud and on your Mac. It is essential to keep the option "Optimise Mac Storage" enabled, if you want to save storage by using iCloud. Then iCloud will only store as many documents locally, as space permits and remove shadow copies of documents, when you are low on storage.

... My iMac with Big Sur, up to date has 1TB hard drive. It was filling up slowly and I decided to turn off iCloud. It is now stable and not filling up over night. I have 793gb of "other" on the hard drive, and only 80GB of recognisable data / documents / utilities/ system.

1- What is that "other"?
2- How can I remove it?
3- Is it coming from iCloud and how can I stop that happening, and why?

Many thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Yannick

The link posted by tygb is explaining "Other" on an iPhone or iPad. For "Others" on a Mac see the user guide: See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

"Other" is completely managed by the system and you cannot control it or remove it.

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

The system should automatically remove "Other" items, if you are running low on storage. on my Mac with 2TB storage the other is frequently growing up to 500GB, but on my Mac with only 250GB the amount of "other" used by the system is much smaller, only 80GB. It is containing mostly the local shadow copies of the files on iCloud Drive.

Sep 2, 2021 1:21 AM in response to tygb

Many thanks for your reply. I looked into that, cleared as much as I could.

My iMac with Big Sur, up to date has 1TB hard drive. It was filling up slowly and I decided to turn off iCloud. It is now stable and not filling up over night. I have 793gb of "other" on the hard drive, and only 80GB of recognisable data / documents / utilities/ system.

1- What is that "other"?

2- How can I remove it?

3- Is it coming from iCloud and how can I stop that happening, and why?

Many thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Yannick

Hard drive filling up with Other. Hard drive / storage full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.