Discrepancy between internal hard drive data being stored as reported by Sonoma and Catalina

In moving from an old 21.5” IMac with Catalina to a new 24” M3 IMac, the migration produced an odd result I cannot reconcile and it may take an in-store reset to factory specs to set straight.

The “old” Mac said it had 750G free on a 1T hard drive. The migration took place wirelessly, dumped tons of individual files onto the desk top, and after I sorted that out I checked the amount of data moved into the “new” machine. The “new” machine reported well under 100G used against a 1T solid state drive. Almost all folders on the desktop had ICloud download arrows. I’ve clicked them all to try downloads. The “new” drive reports it has about 890G free now.

While tech support assures me all my data transferred and the disparity is likely due to Sonoma and Catalina not being entirely on speaking terms with one another, the disparity really concerns me.

I’m not very tech savvy, but I am willing to try resetting the new machine, freshening the backup on to my 2T SanDisk solid state backup drive and doing the migration via the backup drive. I am making an appointment in the morning for someone at the store to sort this out because Apple support has not been able over the phone to resolve this entirely to my either liking or understanding.

has anyone else encountered the same issue?

iMac 24″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 2:50 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 19, 2023 4:10 PM in response to eliot130

Hey there!

Almost all folders on the desktop had ICloud download arrows. I’ve clicked them all to try downloads.

It sounds like the old Mac used iCloud optimization, and that setting transferred to the new Mac. Therefore, rather than the files being transferred, the files are available to download from iCloud on your Mac.

You can disable this from System Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud, and toggle off Optimize Mac Storage.

After disabling Optimize Mac Storage, observe the used capacity on your Mac. If it closely matches that of your old Mac, all files are now downloaded to your Mac. If not, let us know!

-Jack

Nov 19, 2023 5:45 PM in response to Jack-19

Thanks for the prompt response. Your guidance on disabling the optimize Mac Storage: do you mean take that action with the new machine, or with the old one? If it is with the old one, do I need to empty the new MAC and re-do the migration?

The explanation tracks what I see going on. FYI, while working with the old Mac (practicing band material) I saw that it does appear all folders made it to the desktop on the new Mac, so the agent I spoke with may indeed be dead right about all my files being there!

If you’re guidance works as I suspect it will, that will allow me to cancel the appointment I’ll be making in the morning as a backstop.

thanks again, sir.

-Eliot

Nov 20, 2023 5:11 AM in response to Jack-19

Success!!! After making the change you suggested and leaving the new Mac to sit for a while, after breakfast the two machines (old and new) were within spitting distance of one another in terms of storage indications. I will make an appointment for an in-store session as a backstop, but in more closely comparing the two machines it appears everything has, in fact, moved from the old one to the new one. I can always cancel the appointment in a few days.

I very much appreciate your assistance. Your thoughts were spot on. I've had Apple products for a decade (at least a Mac, phones and iPads), and this is the first time I had to reach out to a user board for help. Not once did anyone at Apple support suggest this solution. Please put a large gold star on your chart.

Thanks again.

Eliot

Discrepancy between internal hard drive data being stored as reported by Sonoma and Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.