Not enough storage space on new MacBook Pro to accept from external HD

My 2017 MacBook Pro died suddenly and was not able to open or even charge. I had worked for over 2 years with Apple support to try and fix the problem that led me to suddenly not having access to my computer . It had 1T of storage space on it that I backed up with Time Machine to an external HD. Because my old computer would no longer open or even charge, and I needed access asap, so I bought a new MacBook Pro with 512 GB storage because a MB pro with 1 T would have taken longer. The new one arrived yesterday. (I live 4 hours from the nearest Apple store). I had to transfer the data via that external hard drive plugged into a new MacBook but there was not enough space in the new one. I deselected some of the items to transfer and tried again, but still too many GBs. There was no way I could see to look into sections, eg movies or photos to selectively remove more data so that I could transfer the data and use the new computer asap. Is there a way to access the deselected data on the external HD it is stored on?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 4:05 AM

You can "Enter Time Machine" and restore individual files: Recover files using Time Machine and Spotlight on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 26, 2023 6:38 AM in response to elizahill

It is in the process of transfer that I cannot look into T time machine and I don’t have access to my old computer where I could do so. I wonder if I could view my Time Machine backups on the new computer, which is stopped in the process of transferring data because it doesn’t have enough storage. Maybe I should disconnect my external hard drive from the new computer, and start all over to see if I can view Time Machine in the new MBPro before attempting transfer and from there deselect selectively. Could I do that and if so, how?

Not enough storage space on new MacBook Pro to accept from external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.