Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I rebooted my MacBook Pro everything is gone and it doesn't transfer my data

hey I have had a issue with my Mac then when I tried to fix it with rebooting macOS it actually erased everything and then when I tried to get back everything with transmission it said there is not enough space. So you know thats ridiculous because if there were not enough space then I would have problem with storage even before I rebooted.

and my guess is that when I rebooted, it began to use the same disk so when I tried to transfer my data it meant copying everything in the same disk.

but like I said its just a guess Idk whats actually happened

everything is gone please help me...

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.13

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 6:08 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Dec 4, 2022 9:37 AM in response to iremoda

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

2. Decide whether to erase (format) your disk

If you need to erase your disk before installing macOS, select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. You probably don't need to erase, unless you're selling or giving away your Mac or have an issue that requires you to erase. Learn more about when and how to erase.

3. Install macOS

After starting up from macOS Recovery, follow these steps to install macOS:

1. Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the Utilities window.
  2. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions to choose your disk and begin installation.
  3. If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac. If it doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk

1. Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. During installation, your Mac might restart and show a progress bar several times, and the screen might be empty for minutes at a time.

If your Mac restarts to a setup assistant, but you're selling or giving it away, press Command-Q to quit the assistant without completing setup. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete setup.

If you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.
  • Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support 

Dec 4, 2022 1:09 PM in response to iremoda

Hmmmm,

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Dec 4, 2022 11:37 AM in response to BDAqua

I never clicked a button that says "erase" or "format" I just started Mac OS recovery and there was an option that said "reinstall Mac OS" and in the internet everyone said that it was okay to reinstall it, that it won't erase any of my data, so I just reinstalled macOS but then when it finished reinstalling it started as a new device and it said that I could obtain back all of my data with migration assistant but then it said that there was no enough space.

Like I said before my theory could be right because my storage is 119 gb and for now I'm only using 11gb (system)

but there are only 34gb available space. I mean isn't weird? So I know its not erased its in my disk but I just can't get control over it. And even though I tried to start my computer with safe mode it didn't work.

btw I appreciate your help

Dec 4, 2022 1:41 PM in response to iremoda

just now something so so so weird happened, like I said now my laptop is like in factory settings photos, folders, contacts, etc. everything is gone . but just now when I was looking for the app etrecheck in finder I found some of photos from my laptop before the reboot then I thought everything is magically came back but when I tried to look at the other photos app and folders there wasn't any?

its like someone with lost of memory starts to remember things.

whats happening with my laptop???

I rebooted my MacBook Pro everything is gone and it doesn't transfer my data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.