Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pro Display XDR Scaling/Resolution Question

So when you are using a Macbook Pro or iMac or anything with a built in display, and you go to Display Settings, you see scaling options like more space / less space, etc. You can also use a keystroke to see the actual resolutions.. The thing is though, when changing the resolution regardless of which one you use, the image remains perfectly sharp, as if the resolution never actually changed but only the scaling did.

In contrast, when I'm using a monitor with my Macbook Pro, and this has been with every single flat panel I have ever used with a Mac going back as far as flat panels existed, when you change to a non-native resolution using the SAME DISPLAY PREFERENCES the picture is always a tiny bit blurred. I'm guessing because it's really badly upscaling the image or something.

My question is: Does the Pro Display XLR change resolutions or scaling settings WITHOUT blurring the image?

The reason is for the benefit of my eyesight I want to get a monitor where I can set the resolution a bit lower so that I can make the text a bit larger so I don't need my glasses or to strain my eyes to read it. I used to always want the highest resolution but I've since learned that's why my myopia is as bad as it is and even after LASIK has gotten bad again.

But very simply please ignore the paragraph above, just answer my question if possible thx... I'd like to know the answer before spending $6000 on a monitor :)

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 1:32 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 23, 2021 10:52 PM in response to violincole

Thanks, this answered my questioned. Unfortunately though I won't be able to use this ProDisplayXDR because Apple decided (in genuine Apple fashion) to make it incompatible with anything else on the market other than Macs and to make it only have one input.

My new setup I need my main monitor to be something with inputs for both my Mac and my gaming PC, so that I can game on my main monitor when streaming. It doesn't make any sense to spend $5000 on ProDisplayXDR to use it as my second monitor that hardly gets any use, so I am just going with an Acer 4K 120hz gaming monitor and an LG UltraFine for the secondary monitor, but both will be hooked up to the Mac, and the Acer will be hooked up to the gaming PC also.

I want to stream from my Mac coz it's silly to have a 2nd PC just to stream from when the Mac does it just fine.

Apple Pro Display XDR Scaling/Resolution Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.