Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't require a logon password/PIN

My old (2010) iMac 21.5" died two weeks ago and was replaced with a new iMac 21.5". This caused me to go from OS 10.13.6 to 11.5.2. I am fighting to get the new machine configured the way I want it. This machine is only used by my wife and me. Having to enter a password at each startup is a pain and on my old machine Apple provided a work around to we could just press ENTER at start up (i.e., no password). This also made installing software and updates easier because, again, when asked for a password, we could just press ENTER.

I REALLY hope there is way to go back to the way my old machine worked. That is, no password.

Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 8:02 PM

Follow these steps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201476

2 replies

Sep 2, 2021 10:35 AM in response to muguy

This was a big help and I can live with this solution but I realize it still not the same as it was.

Specifically, in previous releases the password itself was blanks, or there was no password at all (I don't know which). So anywhere the user password would be required (logon, install software, overwrite another user's file while logged in as "Admin"), simply pressing ENTER would suffice. Now there is still a password to remember (probably written on a little slip of paper) it is just that the designated user is logged on automatically at startup. But that addresses the day in, day out pain of logging in.

Thanks very much for your time.

Don't require a logon password/PIN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.