Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disc space low on iMac

Hi - my iMac is running low on space (I have 1TB disk). When I click on This Mac in main menu it shows I have over 700GB in Other. This seems to be a huge amount of data compared to other applications. Any ideas how to review and delete this ? - thanks

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 11:26 PM

3 replies

Sep 2, 2021 7:08 AM in response to Ghostie1960

Ignore the 700GB of Other. Other is just Apple’s way of saying it doesn’t know what applications these files belong to.

Typically a 1TB drive that is close to being full has lots of media files: movies and other video, music, and photos. To quickly determine if this is your issue open your personal folder and find the Music folder. Select it and get info. Make a note of how much space it is using. Move to the Pictures folder and do the same.

It is easy to move music and video to an external drive to free up that space. Moving pictures is a bit more problematic if you are using Photos and syncing pictures over iCloud. If so you’ll have to keep your Photos library on the internal drive. If not that folder can also be moved to an external drive.

disc space low on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.