Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

$TB back up drive wrong capacity

2TB WD back up drive full so purchased a 4TB disk and copied the backup folder across.

BUT now new drive shows 3 TB FREE! I would have expected it to have used the 2 TB from the old drive and to leave 2tb free.

Has it taken everything across?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 2:27 AM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2021 7:00 AM in response to den.thed

I use Time Machine

I opened 2 finder windows, located the 2 drives and checked the Format - File and Partition type.

Then dragged backup.backupsdb to the new drive.

Left it overnight to prepare and copy.

Grateful for any further comments. Thank you.

I used this information to help me:

https://appletoolbox.com/transfer-your-time-machine-backups-to-a-new-drive-with-this-guide/?unapproved=1589149&moderation-hash=ab263fd387aca5cd1e867aeb279f1173#comment-1589149

Sep 2, 2021 7:01 AM in response to squirrelsdig

If you plugged in the new drive, set it up as a TimeMachine drive, and initiated the first backup this is what I’d expect. Explanation:

TimeMachine makes an initial backup and then backs up any changes on an hourly basis. That means the old drive not only has your current data but lots of old data too. Assuming you did as I described above, the new drive doesn’t have any of the old data. Just the new. Thus the discrepancy.

Solutions:

I like TimeMachine precisely because it does keep the old data. It has saved my bacon a few times over the years. You could simply retire the old TM drive to a drawer for safe keeping. Once you figure you’ve reached the point where the old data on the old drive is no longer needed you can repurpose that drive. Or, you could erase the new drive and copy the old TM drive to the new one. Apple’s official methodology is to simply drag the old TM folder onto the new drive but that can take a long long time. I prefer to use the Disk Utility restore function to perform the copy

$TB back up drive wrong capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.