Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Not enough space, but Finder says otherwise

This is a very frustrating thing for me and I hope someone can give me a hand here.

Main disk: 1TB

Backup disk 1.5TB

I create backups using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner), but it keeps saying the destination is full (1.5TB). How is that possible if I'm creating a clone of my main disk which is only 1TB?

Also, when I go to my backup disk using Finder and I calculate all folders' sizes, it goes up to around 1TB or so, not 1.5TB. Even the free space on that main disk is 40GB, so I'm not even using its full capacity of 1TB.

When going to Disk Utility, I get the same issue which is, it says I only have a few MB free. Where the heck are the extra 500GB?

Even if CCC creates snapshots (which are not even showing on my snapshots list), I don't think it would use 500GB.

Can anyone clarify what's causing this?

Here are some images:

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 7:31 AM

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - and https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/automated-maintenance-ccc-safetynet-folder suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making additional Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

Your " CCC_SafetyNet " folder is showing 290.75 GB

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 7:31 AM in response to tiagorocha

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - and https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/automated-maintenance-ccc-safetynet-folder suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making additional Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

Your " CCC_SafetyNet " folder is showing 290.75 GB

Not enough space, but Finder says otherwise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.