📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces AirPods 4 and the world’s first all-in-one hearing health experience with AirPods Pro 2. Learn more >

Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Muffle microphone on AirPods Pro

I have not found a solution to this problem. My AirPods Pro were replaced last year due to the crackling / static problem, but now the quality of the microphone is so bad that people simply can't hear me on a call, regardless of all settings (noise cancellation, left / right / automatic mic selection). I tested it on the voice memo and it is terrible - barely audible and like the voice is muffles / suppressed. I have re-set the AirPods may times, without success. Does anyone know of any fix?!

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 7:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 11:05 AM

I have the same problem. The sound quality is better on speakerphone, which is now my go-to when I have my AirPods Pro in.

I'm generally a big Apple fan, but AirPods Pro are terrible tech that do not serve their most basic functionality. I won't be buying them again.

4 replies

Sep 3, 2021 8:24 AM in response to tom griffiths

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We understand that the microphone of your AirPods isn't working as you'd expect.

First, we'd recommend cleaning your AirPods and their case as outlined here: How to clean your AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and EarPods

Do you experience the same behavior if you connect your AirPods to another device? If you're using your AirPods with an iPhone, we'd recommend that you ensure the iOS is up to date so that your AirPods firmware is also up to date: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2021 1:16 PM in response to Miche11e_P

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I have cleaned my AirPod Pros, and yes have up to date software on my iPhone & MacBook Pro, and have checked the firmware on the AirPods Pros which is the most recent. Unfortunately the problem is the same - the sound is fine, and noise cancelling remains fine, but the microphones seem to have some sort of hardware or software problem. People on calls, whether on the phone or on Zoom or Teams, simply can barely hear me. Recording onto voice memo on my phone or MacBook Pro is the same - the voice is suppressed, muffled, as though talking from another room! They are useless then for digital work, which is disappointing.

This is very frustrating. I had to have both AirPods replaced due to earlier crackling noises. :-(

Tom.

Muffle microphone on AirPods Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.