Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime answered on another device

So this keeps happening and I wonder if someone has found a fix. I have an iPhone, watch, and Macbook all in my possession. Some of my FaceTime calls keep getting answered on another device. I have changed the password a few times and looked which devices are signed into my account. they are all my devices.

phone is completey updated.

are there any known fixes for this?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 11:00 AM

why2391, 

We got it and appreciate you clarifying. Are you able to ask your contact to check the contact card they have for you on their device, to see if they have an incorrect or old Apple ID or phone number listed for you anywhere?

Here's why we suggest this. Most likely in Settings > FaceTime on your end you have multiple ways you can be reached via FaceTime including a phone number and Apple ID. When your contact calls you via FaceTime it will ring all contact information they have for you in the contact card on their device.

If everything is correct on your contact card on their device, then we're going to recommend reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. You've already taken all the right steps to reset your Apple ID password.

Here's the link to reach out - Apple Get Support

Thank you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2021 11:00 AM in response to why2391

why2391, 

We got it and appreciate you clarifying. Are you able to ask your contact to check the contact card they have for you on their device, to see if they have an incorrect or old Apple ID or phone number listed for you anywhere?

Here's why we suggest this. Most likely in Settings > FaceTime on your end you have multiple ways you can be reached via FaceTime including a phone number and Apple ID. When your contact calls you via FaceTime it will ring all contact information they have for you in the contact card on their device.

If everything is correct on your contact card on their device, then we're going to recommend reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. You've already taken all the right steps to reset your Apple ID password.

Here's the link to reach out - Apple Get Support

Thank you.

Sep 3, 2021 9:35 AM in response to why2391

Salutations why2391, 

We understand that when you receive a FaceTime call, it is being answered on one of your other devices and that you reviewed Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in during your troubleshooting.

Is the call being answered on the same device each time? Does this happen with calls from or to the same contact, or is it happening with multiple contacts? 

Thank you. 

Sep 3, 2021 3:46 PM in response to why2391

why2391, 

We want to clarify, do you know the person that is calling you via FaceTime or is this an unknown caller? When you say the call is being answered on a different device, is one of your other devices answering the call automatically? For example, if you’re using your iPhone and see the call come in, is your Mac answering it instead? 

Thanks.

Sep 3, 2021 4:08 PM in response to AnnieL2

I know the person calling me via FaceTime. They are saved as a contact. My MacBook was closed on on each occasion. I see the FaceTime call coming in, but then it goes away. When I open the call log it shows as “answered on another device”.

Which is puzzling because I changed the password often and when I look at the devices on my account they all belong to me.

it doesn’t happen every time, but it’s enough to be concerning.

FaceTime answered on another device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.