Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

flashing folder with question mark

Hey,

ok im praying someone call help! im leaving my job, and was asked to reset my mac pro. i followed these steps (https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT201065). my problem is point 7, i didnt realise it was for another chip, not the apple chip, so now im stuck.

when i open disk utility, i have 1 internal disk (apple ssd ap...), and 1 disk image (apple disk image).

when i try boot and holding option, i dont see any disks.

any clue??

thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 3:11 PM

In that case, once you boot into recovery, instead of choosing Reinstall macOS, go back to Disk Utility. Once there, go to "View" in the menu bar at the top, then "Show All Devices." Do you see the hard drive now? You may have to create a new partition. I'm guessing when the old one was erased it was formatted improperly. If you see partition on the hard drive, erase it again, and if not, press + to create a new one, name it Macintosh HD, choose APFS for the format (if it is not an option, then choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Make sure the GUID partition map is selected as well.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 3:11 PM in response to JosephOR

In that case, once you boot into recovery, instead of choosing Reinstall macOS, go back to Disk Utility. Once there, go to "View" in the menu bar at the top, then "Show All Devices." Do you see the hard drive now? You may have to create a new partition. I'm guessing when the old one was erased it was formatted improperly. If you see partition on the hard drive, erase it again, and if not, press + to create a new one, name it Macintosh HD, choose APFS for the format (if it is not an option, then choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Make sure the GUID partition map is selected as well.

Sep 2, 2021 10:01 AM in response to JosephOR

Holding the power button should work... it can take a while. You're shutting it off, then holding the power button as it turns back on, correct? Are you sure this is an M1 Mac?

JosephOR wrote:

thanks for the link..do i follow the whole page?

You will just need to do the Reinstall macOS part as it sounds like you've already erased the disk in Disk Utility.

flashing folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.