Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra won't install on mid-2010 iMac

Sierra was working great on my iMac, but a website I need to use wanted me to update Safari.

So, I checked compatibility on the Apple website, and it said I could update from Sierra to High Sierra.

I downloaded High Sierra from Apple, and the installation seemed to go fine. The iMac restarted several times, and the progress bar was moving along fine. But then it stopped at about 85% finished, and it wouldn't budge. I left my machine on all night, just in case it decided to finish, but it wouldn't.

The next morning, I turned it off, then turned it on, and only the blank white screen with an apple and progress bar stuck at 85% appeared.

I have an old backup (from 2016), but I don't know how to get it onto the iMac.

I'm not very technical. I ought to have googled first before attempting this upgrade, but I've never had a problem in the past with any updates on any of my other Macs, all of which are newer.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I can't start it in Safe Mode either. It just stays at the white screen with the apple logo and stuck progress bar.

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 9:26 AM

If anyone is interested or has a similar problem, I googled and found this solution:

Force to reboot Mac and reset NVRAM to fix Mac won't boot issue

1. Press and hold Power button for a few minutes till Mac turns off;

2. Wait a few seconds and press Power button to turn on Mac;

3. Hold Command + Option + P + R keys while booting Mac to reset NVRAM;

4. Reboot computer again to see if the problem gets solved or not.

I rebooted my computer, waited for quite a while, and after the screen went black a few times, High Sierra appeared!!

Everything seems to be OK and working fine. All my data is still there, phew!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 9:26 AM in response to picklewood

If anyone is interested or has a similar problem, I googled and found this solution:

Force to reboot Mac and reset NVRAM to fix Mac won't boot issue

1. Press and hold Power button for a few minutes till Mac turns off;

2. Wait a few seconds and press Power button to turn on Mac;

3. Hold Command + Option + P + R keys while booting Mac to reset NVRAM;

4. Reboot computer again to see if the problem gets solved or not.

I rebooted my computer, waited for quite a while, and after the screen went black a few times, High Sierra appeared!!

Everything seems to be OK and working fine. All my data is still there, phew!

High Sierra won't install on mid-2010 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.