Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey download won't install on my iMac

macOS Monterey download won't install on my iMac (21.5-inch, 2017). I downloaded the upgrade from a website and tried twice to install it. After the installation process, my mac's desktop has no content other than a blank screen and does not respond to any input. When I restart, the old system boots up and nothing has changed at all. Could someone please advise?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 10:38 AM

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 10:38 AM in response to crmunnik

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Sep 21, 2022 9:28 AM in response to crmunnik

Sorry for your problem. May I suggest that what happened is that your download file got corrupted and then could not load properly, so the computer looked for and found the older OS to start up. Locate the last download file and move it to the Trash and empty it. Likely, it's in the Applications folder. Then do a new download and use a wired Ethernet connection. Wi-Fi will almost always file with these very large files. It is too slow.

macOS Monterey download won't install on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.