Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install of macOS Monterey completes with no errors, but doesn't actually install.

My install of macOS Monterey completes with no errors. But when it restarts, it's still macOS Big Sur 11.6.2. I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017). I have tried downloading the installer a couple of times, as well as installing from Safe Mode. What else can I do?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 1:20 AM

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Also uninstall any antivirus and "cleaning" apps before trying installing again.

Are you using File Vault to encrypt the disk? If so turn it off and then try after the de-encrypting is complete. That can take many hours.

Boot to Recovery and repair/First Aid the startup disk. You can't repair/First Aid the disk you booted from.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

If disk OK then delete the existing Monterey installer and boot to Safe Mode, which takes minutes and redownload the installer and try again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 1:20 AM in response to solaco

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Also uninstall any antivirus and "cleaning" apps before trying installing again.

Are you using File Vault to encrypt the disk? If so turn it off and then try after the de-encrypting is complete. That can take many hours.

Boot to Recovery and repair/First Aid the startup disk. You can't repair/First Aid the disk you booted from.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

If disk OK then delete the existing Monterey installer and boot to Safe Mode, which takes minutes and redownload the installer and try again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Install of macOS Monterey completes with no errors, but doesn't actually install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.