Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt display driver windows 10

I am trying to get my Apple Thunderbolt display to work with my newly acquired Windows laptop (an Asus Zenbook S UX393). It has a Thunderbolt 4 port on it, and I have purchased a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. When I connect the Thunderbolt display to the adaptor, the display does not work. If I start the Thunderbolt Control Center software, it doesnt even recognize there is a connection to the Thunderbolt port.

I have read many articles to try and get this working without success. One suggested that it wont work unless you have the Apple Thunderbolt display driver for bootcamp (for Windows 10). I wanted to test this theory but dont know how to get this display driver. No google search has resulted in finding this. Can anyone advise, or propose any other tips?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 12:19 PM

Hi J,

My setup is a Lenovo with Thunderbolt 3, not TB4. However, what I've discovered might apply to you. The Lenovo's BIOS needs some settings changed in order to allow the Apple Thunderbolt Display to work.

1.) Data Execution Protection in the Virtualization section of the BIOS must be turned off. This isn't specific to the Apple Display, but appears to be necessary to get the Thunderbolt protocol to work properly.

2.) Security must be set to either "Display and USB" or "None" under the Thunderbolt part of the BIOS. This allows the display to be seen by the computer without the need for user authentication of the device. I've found using "None" to incur the fewest problems.

3.) BIOS Support for Thunderbolt must be enabled in the Thunderbolt settings.

Occasionally, I get screen flickering, particularly when I do a hot-swap on the Thunderbolt port. A reboot resolves this. I don't know the cause of it. I haven't been able to get Windows to recognize the camera, speakers or docking station components of the Apple Display. I suspect this is a limitation of this particular Lenovo computer's implementation of Thunderbolt 3, as my previous Lenovo, with Thunderbolt 2, did recognize these components.

I have tried everything I can think of to get TWO Thunderbolt Displays to work simultaneously, but with no success. I suspect it is because the Lenovo isn't supporting dual DisplayPort channels, but that's just a guess.

I installed the Apple Thunderbolt Display driver, acquired through MacOS Bootcamp Assistant, but it turned out to be a waste of time. Windows sees the ATBD as a Generic Monitor and doesn't even try to use the driver. The driver is from 2009. It was my effort to search for a more recent driver that led me to your post.

Hopefully, these suggestions will yield some positive results for you.

-D.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2021 12:19 PM in response to jwhite68

Hi J,

My setup is a Lenovo with Thunderbolt 3, not TB4. However, what I've discovered might apply to you. The Lenovo's BIOS needs some settings changed in order to allow the Apple Thunderbolt Display to work.

1.) Data Execution Protection in the Virtualization section of the BIOS must be turned off. This isn't specific to the Apple Display, but appears to be necessary to get the Thunderbolt protocol to work properly.

2.) Security must be set to either "Display and USB" or "None" under the Thunderbolt part of the BIOS. This allows the display to be seen by the computer without the need for user authentication of the device. I've found using "None" to incur the fewest problems.

3.) BIOS Support for Thunderbolt must be enabled in the Thunderbolt settings.

Occasionally, I get screen flickering, particularly when I do a hot-swap on the Thunderbolt port. A reboot resolves this. I don't know the cause of it. I haven't been able to get Windows to recognize the camera, speakers or docking station components of the Apple Display. I suspect this is a limitation of this particular Lenovo computer's implementation of Thunderbolt 3, as my previous Lenovo, with Thunderbolt 2, did recognize these components.

I have tried everything I can think of to get TWO Thunderbolt Displays to work simultaneously, but with no success. I suspect it is because the Lenovo isn't supporting dual DisplayPort channels, but that's just a guess.

I installed the Apple Thunderbolt Display driver, acquired through MacOS Bootcamp Assistant, but it turned out to be a waste of time. Windows sees the ATBD as a Generic Monitor and doesn't even try to use the driver. The driver is from 2009. It was my effort to search for a more recent driver that led me to your post.

Hopefully, these suggestions will yield some positive results for you.

-D.

thunderbolt display driver windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.