Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" Thunderbolt Display with M1 MacBook Pro

I've just upgraded from a 2018 MacBook Pro 16' to the 2020 M1 edition and the 27" Thunderbolt Display doesn't work on the new machine using the existing USB C -> Thunderbolt adapter. Strangely enough, it worked for a brief moment when I first setup the Mac but no luck since.

Swapping the adapter and connection back to the 2018 MacBook Pro works fine.

Short of ditching the Thunderbolt Display and upgrading is there anything else I should try first?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 12:59 PM

No, both laptops are running Monterey.

Note solution to the problem was a brand new Thunderbolt 2 cable between the secondary thunderbolt port on the display and the laptop rather than using the octopus cable.

6 replies

Mar 16, 2022 5:50 PM in response to willrossi

Having the same problem on my MBA m1 + apple Thunderbolt Display, ever since I updated to Monterey 12.3 the screen went blank, speaker, mic, camera and ports work, the screen is detected in settings-display menu but no image just darkness.

Will give this a try, I ordered a thunderbolt 2 cable. If it works I'm posting in my own thread, there seems to be a lot of people experiencing this.

One quick question, when you solved the problem using the thunderbolt cable directly to monitor port, did you keep camera, speakers, mic and ports funtionality or was it all lost in the name of image?

Mar 17, 2022 4:35 PM in response to SDMZ1980

I would suggest ruling out faults in each of the devices separately.

-check thunderbolt display with some intel-based Mac with direct TB-2 port.

-check TB2-TB3 adapter with some other device on your M1 Mac to check both adapter and Mac port.

-and finally, check some other thunderbolt display with your M1 to see if the problem is there or not. If yes, then there must be some software related issue.

27" Thunderbolt Display with M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.