Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display not working with new M1 based PowerBooks

I have a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display that I connect to my MacBookPro with the Apple Adapter. It has worked great for many years. Unfortunately I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to one with the new Apple M1 chip and my display no longer works. I have tried several M1 Macs and different adaptors (Apple and non-able) and they won't connect. I CAN connect the M1 Macs to the older Apple 27" display with the older non-thunderbolt port. Can someone please explain this this me and recommend a solution. You would think the thunderbolt display would work......

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2022 1:49 PM

I have a perfectly working Thunderbolt Display as it connects to my wifes older Macbook Air (2012), but absolutely will not turn on connecting to my M1 Macbook Air, using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 dongle.

The conclusion I have come to is that it is a software issue with Monterey. Some even go as far as saying, Apple is intentionally making them not work with the new OS so people will go out and buy the new 1600$ studio displays.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2022 1:49 PM in response to CampBobcat

I have a perfectly working Thunderbolt Display as it connects to my wifes older Macbook Air (2012), but absolutely will not turn on connecting to my M1 Macbook Air, using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 dongle.

The conclusion I have come to is that it is a software issue with Monterey. Some even go as far as saying, Apple is intentionally making them not work with the new OS so people will go out and buy the new 1600$ studio displays.

Apr 5, 2022 12:13 PM in response to tbirdvet

I thought so too regarding the "octopus cable", but the display works just fine with non M1 PowerBooks. I have tried multiple M1 PowerBooks on this monitor and the pattern is the same...works with all non-M1 and does not work with M1.

This has NOT solved my issue. I spent several HOURS on the phone with Apple and talked to several level of support staffing and they could not come up with a logical reason either....

Apr 5, 2022 11:43 AM in response to CampBobcat

I have a MBA M1 and works fine with my TB display. Perhaps there is an issue with the octopus cable. You could get a TB2 cable and connect directly to one of the TB ports on the display and see if that works. Also unplug the display from the wall, wait 3 minutes and plug back in and see what happens. I have also used my Mac Mini M1 which also works with my TB display. I running OS 12.3.

Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display not working with new M1 based PowerBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.