Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple thunderbolt display 27" and mac mini m1

Hi all,

i just bought a mac mini m1 and i cannot get my "apple thunderbolt display 27" to work.

I use the thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) to thunderbolt 2 adapter from apple.

it works with my macbook pro 15 (2017 - big sur) but not on the mac mini m1 (2020 - big sur) ....

Do you have an idea of the problem ?

Thank you.

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 5:18 AM

Apple sold two different versions of their 27” displays - the former being the LED Cinema Display (which uses DisplayPort connection standard), and the latter being the Thunderbolt Display (using the Thunderbolt connection standard). Are you sure you have the Thunderbolt model?

The reason I ask is that the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not support DisplayPort displays. Per this support article, if you have the LED Cinema Display then you will instead need to purchase a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter from a third party, like Startech for example.

If, however, you do indeed have the Thunderbolt Display, then it should be working with the adapter you currently have and may need to do some further troubleshooting to understand why the Mac mini is not picking up the Thunderbolt connection.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 5:18 AM in response to arnaud84000

Apple sold two different versions of their 27” displays - the former being the LED Cinema Display (which uses DisplayPort connection standard), and the latter being the Thunderbolt Display (using the Thunderbolt connection standard). Are you sure you have the Thunderbolt model?

The reason I ask is that the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not support DisplayPort displays. Per this support article, if you have the LED Cinema Display then you will instead need to purchase a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter from a third party, like Startech for example.

If, however, you do indeed have the Thunderbolt Display, then it should be working with the adapter you currently have and may need to do some further troubleshooting to understand why the Mac mini is not picking up the Thunderbolt connection.

apple thunderbolt display 27" and mac mini m1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.