Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't encrypt Time Machine data

Prolog: My old (2010) iMac 21.5" died two weeks ago and was replaced with a new iMac 21.5". This caused me to go from OS 10.13.6 to 11.5.2.

Question: Being new to OS 11, is there a way to tell Time Machine to NOT encrypt my data (and therefore NOT require a password)?

Because I accidentally (and stupidly) bought my new machine with a smaller drive than Time Machine required to restore my old data, the only way I was able to get my files back was to manually retrieve them from the Time Machine drive. And this was only possible because they were not encrypted. If they had been I think I would have been out of luck.

I'm willing to risk my backed up files being 'in the clear'.

Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 10:51 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 4, 2021 9:27 AM in response to RedLeafs

RedLeafs wrote:

Prolog: My old (2010) iMac 21.5" died two weeks ago and was replaced with a new iMac 21.5". This caused me to go from OS 10.13.6 to 11.5.2.

Question: Being new to OS 11, is there a way to tell Time Machine to NOT encrypt my data (and therefore NOT require a password)?

Because I accidentally (and stupidly) bought my new machine with a smaller drive than Time Machine required to restore my old data, the only way I was able to get my files back was to manually retrieve them from the Time Machine drive. And this was only possible because they were not encrypted. If they had been I think I would have been out of luck.

I'm willing to risk my backed up files being 'in the clear'.

Thanks

I've used Time Machine drives encrypted for years as my employer mandates that for all external drives connected to our computers.

You enter a password when setting it up. To access the contents of the drive, you enter the password. It's not complicated.

Don't encrypt Time Machine data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.