Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music.app CloudDownload status changes

I am adding everything to Music and adding it to my Cloud Library. When a session is done the column for CloudDownload (has the 'cloud' icon) shows a downwards pointing arrow on a solid circle for every song. I am referring to 'Songs" view (select Songs from the sidebar).

But too often I open Music and for several of the latest items there is no circled arrow. There is nothing in that column until the cursor goes over one of the songs and then a simple downwards arrow shows. If I then click the song is downloaded. And that is the problem. I already have the song. Indeed, if I right-click one of those songs the option to Show in Finder is not available. Music does not recognize that the song is local. Music does say that these songs were uploaded/matched.

I care because much of my library is live recordings. There are no Music matches but since Music sees them as uploaded they are available to be played. The issue is that since they were my uploads there is only a lossy version available, not my local stored lossless version.

Solution is to delete these songs/albums and add them back, forcing Music to update the Cloud Library. Again.

Any help to prevent this happening?

M1 iMac / Big Sur

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 6:41 PM

It's now been three days and the issue has not returned.

The *only* difference is the location of my 'Music Library.musiclibrary' file. I previously kept it in my iCloud. It worked fine for as long as I remember. But lately (say two months) the issue had arisen. I use Sync and three days ago decided to use it instead for the Music Library.musiclibrary file.

Thanks for listening.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2021 6:41 PM in response to timothylance

It's now been three days and the issue has not returned.

The *only* difference is the location of my 'Music Library.musiclibrary' file. I previously kept it in my iCloud. It worked fine for as long as I remember. But lately (say two months) the issue had arisen. I use Sync and three days ago decided to use it instead for the Music Library.musiclibrary file.

Thanks for listening.

Sep 3, 2021 12:38 PM in response to timothylance

Hello timothylance,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that situation with those uploaded songs.

To verify, are you using iTunes Match or Apple Music?

Did you create a backup of your iMac prior to originally uploading those songs?

Is this behavior only occurring with live recordings, or does it also happen with tracks from studio albums?

Additionally, does that persist if you boot your iMac into safe mode per the steps in this article? Start up your Mac in safe mode

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode, as it runs a check on your disk. Your screen may flicker while in safe mode and you may not hear any audio, those behaviors are expected. However, you should still be able to verify the download status icons while in safe mode.

Once you’ve had the chance to test that, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Hopefully those details and steps will help to further isolate and address your situation.

Take care.

Sep 3, 2021 1:26 PM in response to mario49

Thanks for replying!

Yes, Apple Music - M1 iMac / Big Sur.

As for did I "create a backup of your iMac prior to originally uploading those songs" - the iMac uses TimeMachine - default settings.

Not just live recordings - seemingly random as it does happen with "studio albums". I mentioned the live recordings because the vast majority of the rest will come back to me lossless now that Apple has implemented that. But the live recordings will not as they will not be in Apple's collection.

I just uploaded 110 tracks. They are as expected. Fingers crossed. Will report back after 24 hours. Issue appears within that time.

As for checking in SafeMode, at this point that's not going to happen. This iMac functions as a server which needs to run 24/7. I can of course try this step but it could mean days of downtime. Besides I can not imagine what could be at play.

BTW, I have done a clean install of OS and apps. Twice. I have done complete cleaning using Onyx. See https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/index.html for details of the tasks.

Music.app CloudDownload status changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.