Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant use IPad Air 4 as a external display to my 2017 Mac book Air

I have a 2017 Mac book air 13 inch running Mac OS Big Sur. I just bought a new IPad Air 4. I’m trying to use it as a external monitor to my Mac book but I can’t find the device on my Mac and sidecar it. I can find my Apple TV but my iPad isn’t popping up. Both are running latest Update, both connected to same wifi and both are connected to same Apple ID. This is strange. Any fix? Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 12:07 AM

You are using a 2017 MacBook Air with macOS Big Sur. You are not going to be able to use SideCar because your 2017 MacBook Air does not meet the requirements for SideCar. You will need a 2018 MacBook Air or a newer model to use SideCar. Below are the system requirements for SideCar:

Sidecar system requirements

Sidecar requires a compatible Mac using macOS Catalina or later and a compatible iPad using iPadOS 13 or later.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 12:07 AM in response to RoyM1

You are using a 2017 MacBook Air with macOS Big Sur. You are not going to be able to use SideCar because your 2017 MacBook Air does not meet the requirements for SideCar. You will need a 2018 MacBook Air or a newer model to use SideCar. Below are the system requirements for SideCar:

Sidecar system requirements

Sidecar requires a compatible Mac using macOS Catalina or later and a compatible iPad using iPadOS 13 or later.

Axel F.

Cant use IPad Air 4 as a external display to my 2017 Mac book Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.