Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi calling stops working

Hi my iPhone 12 mini requires me to reset my network setting very frequently to re-establish WiFi calling capability.

the phone remains connected to WiFi and I can even perform FaceTime calls.

if I place my sim into my iphone 10Xr I don’t have this problem.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 2:41 PM

14 replies

Sep 14, 2021 10:52 PM in response to jacketgeorge

WiFi calling works with a cellular carrier by allowing traffic from your device to use the Internet rather than the cellular network to inject data into their system.

The SIM card only controls the cellular portion of the phone.

If their database isn't properly configured to allow packets originating from your device into their network, WiFi calling won't work.

Your device will be allowed onto their cellular network because of the SIM card,, but packets won't be allowed into their network from your machine via the Internet - the carrier's network is firewalled so it only accepts data from devices explicitly allowed to send that data to their network, and that is what seems to be failing.

Sep 15, 2021 9:07 AM in response to jacketgeorge

Dogcow’s post raises a possibility - at least in my mind - in this intriguing discussion.

Perhaps your carrier “sees” your original XR as “legit” …

… while it “sees” the new 12 as an “imposter” containing a possibly a misappropriated SIM.

As to the 20m delay … beats me. 🤔

Question: Is your SIM from a MNO or a MVNO? (just curious)

WiFi calling stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.