Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change default mouse buttons on a non-mac mouse?

I have a wireless usb mouse (not bluetooth) that I specifically purchased because it has extra side buttons I want to use to create key-bindings for gaming. There are two Mouse Side Buttons. I was able to change Mouse Side Button two (the most forward one), but Mouse Side Button 1 defaults to the same thing as the F3 Key ("show desktop"). I am trying to figure out how to remove this functionality from the button so I can reassign it to something actually useful. I already have a button on my kepboard for this and would rather assign it to something else.

The preferences > Mouse options dont even show side buttons to change so Im not sure where this mouse got the idea that I want that button assigned as an additional F3 key.

Any advice would be appreciated.

macOS Catalina

version 10.15.7

MacBook Pro (16 inch 2019)

2.4 ghz 8 core intel core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500m 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 3:26 AM

I've used USB Overdive for many years: it's effective and stable. There is a trial version you can use for as long as you like - it just adds delay before starting: make sure you get version 4.0.1 for Catalina (the latest version is Big Sur only). You can customize the buttons (I use it with a trackball with four buttons but you can have more) and have different actions for different applications: these include typing text with modifiers.

https://www.usboverdrive.com/

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2021 3:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I've used USB Overdive for many years: it's effective and stable. There is a trial version you can use for as long as you like - it just adds delay before starting: make sure you get version 4.0.1 for Catalina (the latest version is Big Sur only). You can customize the buttons (I use it with a trackball with four buttons but you can have more) and have different actions for different applications: these include typing text with modifiers.

https://www.usboverdrive.com/

Sep 3, 2021 8:58 PM in response to meh_67

You would think the maker of the mouse would provide some software to handle it's nonstandard keys. It may only provide a windows driver.

What is the make, name and model number for the mouse.

You could use some third party remapper to change what f3 does. I use keyboard maestro to remap my function keys and other things.

R

Sep 4, 2021 12:17 PM in response to meh_67

I have no idea if this is a spam free website:

https://www.driver-free.com/download-bengoo-km-1-drivers-software-wireless-gaming-mouse/

This seem to be all window's drivers. I did look on the manufacturer's web site, but could not find driver.

Could try connecting to a windows box and programming the function keys how you like. see above.

R

ps. problem with no-name brand

Sep 4, 2021 4:03 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you and everyone for the assistance!

Im thinking this is a case of "you get what you pay for" and this was not an expensive mouse. At this point im cutting my losses and going to research a true programmable gaming mouse for mac. Its going to cost more, but heck, the time I (and all of you fine people) have spent on this is certainly a consideration.

Have a great Labor Day weekend all!

How can I change default mouse buttons on a non-mac mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.