Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iphone

I backed up my old iphone but was unable to upload to new phone. Now I have been using my new phone for a week. If I back up this iPhone will it erase my data on the cloud with the few things I have on this or do I need to reset this phone and loose the few pictures and text messages I have?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 5:45 PM

Do you mean if you back up the new phone, or restore a backup to the new phone? When you restore a backup to a phone it will erase the phone and replace the contents with the backup contents.

However, you can first sync the new phone to iCloud (sync is not the same as backing up to iCloud), then restore the backup, then enable iCloud sync to restore the content that you synced before you restore the backup.

To sync to iCloud go to Settings[your name]/iCloud and turn on the switches for the items you want to sync.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 5:45 PM in response to krazehorse505

Do you mean if you back up the new phone, or restore a backup to the new phone? When you restore a backup to a phone it will erase the phone and replace the contents with the backup contents.

However, you can first sync the new phone to iCloud (sync is not the same as backing up to iCloud), then restore the backup, then enable iCloud sync to restore the content that you synced before you restore the backup.

To sync to iCloud go to Settings[your name]/iCloud and turn on the switches for the items you want to sync.

New iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.