Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the owner's name on an iPod A1238

I bought a used iPod A1238 and I want to put my own name on it. I've never owed an iPod so this is all new for me. I only have Windows. Apparently I need to do this from inside iTunes. I tried to download that but installation failed as I don't have Win-10. I went back and downloaded the version for Win-7 (which I imagine will work for Win-8.1). The apple instructions tell me I can make the change the change to the connected iPod when I'm in iTunes. Well I'm in iTunes, I see the iPod (with the wrong owner's name) and I can't figure out how to change the name.

iPod Classic

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 7:38 PM

9 replies

Sep 3, 2021 7:49 PM in response to BigHairyNScary

BigHairyNScary Said:

"How do I change the owner's name on an iPod A1238: I bought a used iPod A1238 and I want to put my own name on it. I've never owed an iPod so this is all new for me. I only have Windows. Apparently I need to do this from inside iTunes."

-------

Verify the Device:

Go here and see if this is still officially associated to your account. You would look at your devices, seeing if it is your device. If not, then it is not officially your device, and therefore the current owner must disassociate it from their own account, allowing you to log into it. Point being: It may not be possible, if this not associated to your account (meaning it is not officially your device). Go Here: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed In - Apple Support

Sep 3, 2021 8:26 PM in response to BigHairyNScary

BigHairyNScary Said:

"Update: I have been able to play music that is already on the iPod through iTunes on my computer. After poking around some more on iTunes I have been able to change the owner's name through iTunes. So now I have a USB with 100's of MP3s I would like to put on the iPod. How do I do that???"

-------

Adding these:

Use a computer to perform this, as it would be more user-friendly doing so.

1. Go Here: Import Music from a Computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: "If you have songs or music video files on your computer, you can import them into Music so they appear in your music library."

Sep 4, 2021 11:47 AM in response to BigHairyNScary

Thanks for all the help - from everyone. Yes, it is an iPod classic (I'm

told). The owner has passed away, but apparently never locked the

device. I reset the iPod and iTunes finally recognized it as new to me

and allowed me to sync up. I'll try my old iPod in my old van (it has an

AUX plug) and I'm hopeful I'll have continuous music for my 33 hr drive

next week :)

Sep 3, 2021 9:01 PM in response to BigHairyNScary

BigHairyNScary Said:

"All the music is on the computer. It looks like my old music may be here too!: In any case, moving it to the iPod doesn't seem to be working. From the side bar menu when I click on 'Devices' I can see it but 'sync' is grayed out. When I click on the iPod icon at the top of the page a window opens up. There is a white 'sync' button and a blue "done" button. Pressing either button does nothing :("

-------

Are these MP3 or Not?:

Apple Devices can only be associated to one device at a time. Also, note that iTunes Store purchases cannot be merged between Apple IDs. So, if any of these are not MP3 files, then they will not go into a new account. This all has to do with licensing between Apple and the Studio.

How to Solve this:

So, the only solution would be to authorize the Mac with the one the iPod is associated to.

Authorize the Computer and iPod:

1. Go to: Account menu
  2. Hover Over: Accounts >
  3. Select: Authorizations
  4. Select: Authorize This Computer...
  5. Proceed from there as necessary.

Sep 3, 2021 8:06 PM in response to TheLittles

Well I'm in a world of trouble. I had an iTunes account from 200? to around 2012 that I used a little. I bought somewhere between 10-30 songs. I uploaded 100's of CD's. That's all on an old computer in the garage.

Fast forward to today. I have a new email address. In 2018 I switched from Android to iPhone. I completely forgot about the iTunes account and just followed the prompts to set up my iPhone and I created a new account. I just used the new account to install the new (old version) of iTunes on my Win-8.1 computer.

Update: I have been able to play music that is already on the iPod through iTunes on my computer. After poking around some more on iTunes I have been able to change the owner's name through iTunes.

So now I have a USB with 100's of MP3s I would like to put on the iPod. How do I do that???

Sep 3, 2021 8:37 PM in response to TheLittles

All the music is on the computer. It looks like my old music may be here too!

In any case, moving it to the iPod doesn't seem to be working. From the side bar menu when I click on "Devices" I can see it but "sync" is grayed out. When I click on the iPod icon at the top of the page a window opens up. There is a white "sync" button and a blue "done" button. Pressing either button does nothing :(

Sep 4, 2021 11:46 AM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for all the help - from everyone. Yes, it is an iPod classic (I'm told). The owner has passed away, but apparently never locked the device. I reset the iPod and iTunes finally recognized it as new to me and allowed me to sync up. I'll try my old iPod in my old van (it has an AUX plug) and I'm hopeful I'll have continuous music for my 33 hr drive next week :)

How do I change the owner's name on an iPod A1238

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.