Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I install Adobe CS6 on my MaxOS Big Sur

How can I download Adobe InDesign onto my Mac OS Big Sur?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 7:51 PM

6 replies

Sep 23, 2021 2:30 PM in response to andrew_turner

Download and run the free GO64 app and see what it says about PhotoShop CS6. It might be that it has some 32 bit components which prevent it from working with Big Sur. The Go64 app will tell you if that's the case.

I don't know if you're a PhotoShop power user but when I upgraded to Catalina I gave up PhotoShop for Photoshop Elements for Mac. It did every thing I did with PS except converting to CMYK. I use the demo version of GraphicConverter for that.

Also there's Affinity Photo which many have given high marks too and it's a one time purchase.

Sep 23, 2021 12:47 PM in response to DeniseASM

I fell for this too. Currently working in Mojave. Looking in 'About this Mac' shows Adobe Photoshop CS6 as 64-bit. Even so, it doesn't work in Big Sur. I guess there are 32-bit parts in the Application Libraries or elsewhere. I had a real problem reverting to Mojave from TimeMachine but got there in the end with telephone support one Sunday from Apple in Dublin. As an amateur Photographer (and being retired) I can't justify the CC subscription when CS6 does all, and more, than I need. I am exploring whether I can use Skylum Luminar, Affinity, or DxO instead. I had the same problem with Acrobat Pro XI but if and when I have to move to Big Sur (or later), Readdle's 64-bit PDF Expert for Mac seems to do everything I need. Just happy to be back in Mojave with everything working again. Won't be moving OS until I have to! What makes it worse is that I checked with Apple that Big Sur would run ALL 64-bit applications, but this is NOT the case. The final say is with the developer and, sadly, CS6/Acrobat Pro XI are unsupported 'old' applications these days.

Sep 23, 2021 2:15 PM in response to DeniseASM

The CS6 applications have 32-bit components and macOS Catalina and Big Sur do not support Java 6, a requirement of the CS6 applications.

Look at Affinity Publisher, which is a $50 (Mac App Store) non-subscription application that can import PDF and InDesign files. There is a free trial, and don't let that low price obscure the professional features in the application.

Or you can subscribe to Adobe InDesign… 😢

Sep 23, 2021 3:27 PM in response to DeniseASM

If you have enough RAM and space on the drive to do so, you can install virtual machine software (Parallels, VMware or VirtualBox). Once that's installed, you install an older OS that supports 32 bit software within the VM. For CS6, High Sierra would be a good choice. Then, once you have High Sierra running in the VM, you install CS6 in High Sierra.

You can do this as long as you have an Intel based Mac. It's not possible to run older version of Mac OS on a new M1 Mac.

how can I install Adobe CS6 on my MaxOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.