Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW TO CHECK AND UNCHECK SONGS IN MY ITUNES LIBRARY (timeline September 2021)

I have just downloaded iTunes onto my new windows laptop and there is no option to check or uncheck songs in my iTunes Library.

This is an important feature for me as the library is far bigger than the memory of my iTouch and I only want to copy certain songs onto that device.

Without it I cannot update my iTouch which is really irritating.

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 7:46 AM

You should be able to turn the checkboxes on with Edit > Preferences > General > Show > List view checkboxes.

Not syncing unchecked songs is a side effect of unchecking songs. At the very simplest level you can make a single regular playlist called, for example, Synced Songs and sync with just this playlist. Everything you add to this list would be included, everything you take out will be removed the next time you sync. This is just as powerful as the check/uncheck behaviour but means you can still listen to albums that are in your library, but not selected to sync to your device. If you uncheck an excluded album then you can play individual tracks but to play the album you have to play each track one at a time or check them all first.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2021 7:46 AM in response to derick225

You should be able to turn the checkboxes on with Edit > Preferences > General > Show > List view checkboxes.

Not syncing unchecked songs is a side effect of unchecking songs. At the very simplest level you can make a single regular playlist called, for example, Synced Songs and sync with just this playlist. Everything you add to this list would be included, everything you take out will be removed the next time you sync. This is just as powerful as the check/uncheck behaviour but means you can still listen to albums that are in your library, but not selected to sync to your device. If you uncheck an excluded album then you can play individual tracks but to play the album you have to play each track one at a time or check them all first.

tt2

Sep 5, 2021 5:49 AM in response to derick225

Edit > Preferences > General > Show > List view checkboxes.

Note that unchecked songs in the library are skipped during normal and shuffle playback. It is better to make a playlist of the content that you want to sync. You can use the checkboxes to uncheck any track that you wouldn't want to play by accident, such as bonus interview tracks, holiday songs out of season, or songs that you dislike, but want to keep in your library for completeness.

tt2

Sep 5, 2021 6:15 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply, but it did not really address my main concern which is my version of iTunes does not let me check or uncheck songs in my Library - the option is missing - no little square check box, no check or uncheck option on right click...nothing.

I take your point about using playlists and that is an option I use to some extent, but I still like listening to music primarily by album, so I prefer to store the songs that way on my laptop and my iTouch. The trouble with that is my iTouch does not have the memory to hold my entire music library so I need to select which albums and songs to copy to it and which to leave off. The check or uncheck facility lets me do that - or did.

I hope there is a solution to this because as things stand I cannot update my iTouch with the new albums and songs I have purchased recently or with any I will buy in the future. Music gives me immense pleasure and I use the iTouch to listen a lot when out and about or even just relaxing in the garden so this would be a big loss if I cannot update the device.

HOW TO CHECK AND UNCHECK SONGS IN MY ITUNES LIBRARY (timeline September 2021)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.