Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie backup iCloud

Hi,

I have some videos recorded this summer with a GoPro. I imported them on my Mac with iMovie and now they are in an iMovie Library on an external drive. How can I backup the library on iCloud ? I don't have enough space on the main hard drive to store the Library there. Is there a way to tell iMovie, "hey, how about you backup all the data in the library to iCloud ?"

I googled a bit about that and it doesn't seem possible to do that easily. But there's a setting in iCloud that gives me hope :

It clearly says that iMovie uses iCloud storage... so what now ? What do I do ? Again, I just want a backup in the cloud. I will use the external drive to work.

Also I downloaded the Final Cut Trial, is there a way with Final Cut ?

Thanks !

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 7:35 AM

An iMovie library needs to be backed up on an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. A Time Machine backup is good on an external drive so formatted. The drive must be dedicated solely to a Time Machine backup. Other than through Time Machine an iMovie library cannot be stored on a drive that is used for Time Machine. Or, you can simply Copy and Paste your iMovie library into an external drive periodically to back it up. It is not recommended to use a flash thumb drive, or an SD car. or drives shared on a network. You can use a Thunderbolt Thumb drive.

Here's a link to Apple's bulletin on how to store an iMovie library:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203049

Does that solve it?

Side note: As I think about it, it may be possible to store the iMovie app itself, as opposed to the iMovie library, in the cloud. Not sure about that. You could try it and see. However, the app itself doesn't contain any media other than tiny small sized thumbnails that are used for editing. All the Original Media is stored in the library. So there wouldn't be much point in storing the app in the cloud, since you can always download another copy from the app store.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2021 7:35 AM in response to vJuluss

An iMovie library needs to be backed up on an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. A Time Machine backup is good on an external drive so formatted. The drive must be dedicated solely to a Time Machine backup. Other than through Time Machine an iMovie library cannot be stored on a drive that is used for Time Machine. Or, you can simply Copy and Paste your iMovie library into an external drive periodically to back it up. It is not recommended to use a flash thumb drive, or an SD car. or drives shared on a network. You can use a Thunderbolt Thumb drive.

Here's a link to Apple's bulletin on how to store an iMovie library:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203049

Does that solve it?

Side note: As I think about it, it may be possible to store the iMovie app itself, as opposed to the iMovie library, in the cloud. Not sure about that. You could try it and see. However, the app itself doesn't contain any media other than tiny small sized thumbnails that are used for editing. All the Original Media is stored in the library. So there wouldn't be much point in storing the app in the cloud, since you can always download another copy from the app store.

-- Rich

Sep 5, 2021 8:13 AM in response to vJuluss

An iMovie library cannot be backed up or stored in the Cloud. I don't use Final Cut but I would imagine that you could not store a Final Cut library in the Cloud either, since the two apps share much of the same technology.

You can store in the Clould videos that you have created in iMovie and have shared out (exported). That's what the iMovie icon in your screen shot means.

-- Rich

Sep 7, 2021 6:03 AM in response to Rich839

Hi !

Your answer doesn't solve my problem but it answers my question about the backup. Thank you !

It's a pity that Apple doesn't include a way to backup an iMovie library. They want us to use iCloud a lot and everything, but they can't do a simple task like that. Anyway...

Now that I know I can't backup the library with iCloud, I'll have to do it anyway, I don't want to loose my rushes until the final video is made and exported. I think I'm gonna find some place on a second external drive, or a NAS or something like that...

I was thinking also, if I import all my videos in Photos, they will be stored on iCloud because I use iCloud with Photos. But then, when I import them in iMovie, they will be copied to the iMovie Library, meaning I'll have them in double on my hard drive (because yes I have a full library Photos on my external drive) ?

iMovie backup iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.