Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I backup my video files from an external drive to my iCloud account?

I want to be able to back up my videos on my iCloud account; however, because of the ever increasing size of the data, I can't keep them on my Mac (i.e., in file on the Desktop or in the Documents folder), They are on an external drive. I have been backing them up by copying the drive to another external 1T drive, but that's a pain. How do I copy them to iCloud without going through the process of copying them (in groups) to my Desktop or Documents Folder, and then deleting the group and copying another. Is there a way to have iCloud automatically back them up?

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 3:56 PM

iCloud will sync files in iCloud Drive and in desktop and documents if enabled. Dragging files to your computer to upload and then deleting the files from your Mac will also delete the files in iCloud. You can sync to an external Photos library using iCloud. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep in mind, iCloud is not a backup solution but a synchronization service.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 3:56 PM in response to ctowngary

iCloud will sync files in iCloud Drive and in desktop and documents if enabled. Dragging files to your computer to upload and then deleting the files from your Mac will also delete the files in iCloud. You can sync to an external Photos library using iCloud. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep in mind, iCloud is not a backup solution but a synchronization service.

How can I backup my video files from an external drive to my iCloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.