Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook App: login error an unexpected error occurred. please try logging in again

I have seen this asked before but since no one had answered in a while, the thread is not active anymore.

Like the original poster, my FB account, which I had for 13 years, was deactivated (and with it, my IG, Messenger and my Whatsapp) and there is no way to contact FB Support either by phone or by mail.

I have since created a new account which Im able to access on my browser (iPhone and Windows computers) but I can't make the apps work anymore. I have 2 iPhones and one iPad and after uninstalling and reinstalling, I can't log in with the new account on any Apple device.

I'm suspecting it has to do with the Apple ID being recognized by the app, and the Apple ID I use is the same email address that has been deemed forbidden by FB.

I am a heavy FB user on the mobile devices as I use Messenger with my parents so they can see my children. My dad has a Samsung device thus Facetime is not an option and he managed to learn to use Messenger.

I am devastated to know that FB will control so much and disable my means of communication without any Support.

Does anybody here have a solution from the Apple side? Contacting Facebook is not an option as I have tried for 2 weeks and things have gotten worse. I changed one of my mobile numbers so that at least I can access Whatsapp.

iPhone 12

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 7:12 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities hazel_a_e,

Thank you for contacting us. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you as much as we can. We understand you're having an issue with your Facebook login.   We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. Although we are not experts on Facebook, we may be able to provide a work around of sorts. Make sure you have the most current operating system on your device. (Settings > General > Software Update). We would suggest trying an app specific password for Facebook and have included the link below. This has worked well with some email providers that require an authorization.

Using app-specific passwords

Hope this works out for you.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2021 7:12 AM in response to hazel_a_e

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities hazel_a_e,

Thank you for contacting us. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you as much as we can. We understand you're having an issue with your Facebook login.   We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. Although we are not experts on Facebook, we may be able to provide a work around of sorts. Make sure you have the most current operating system on your device. (Settings > General > Software Update). We would suggest trying an app specific password for Facebook and have included the link below. This has worked well with some email providers that require an authorization.

Using app-specific passwords

Hope this works out for you.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Sep 6, 2021 7:59 AM in response to barberlives123

Thanks but this is not what is causing the issue. I believe the problem is that my Apple ID email address is the same one I used for the FB account that was deactivated/banned. So really what I was looking for was to see if I can change my Apple ID email address (not create a new one) and re-purchase the FB apps with this new Apple ID and see if I can use them on my devices.

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2021 8:15 AM in response to hazel_a_e

hazel_a_e,

Thank you for getting back to us. Yes you can change your Apple ID email address, delete the Facebook app and re-download it. When you change your Apple ID, our system will still recognize it as you, so all your apps and downloads will be kept under you. Maybe that will work for you.

Change your Apple ID

You will want to sign out of everything that your logged into prior to making the change. Then you will just log in with new Apple ID email and password.

Hope this does the trick for Facebook.

Cheers.

Facebook App: login error an unexpected error occurred. please try logging in again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.