Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with Icloud on my mac

I recently signed up for Icloud, and I already had my documents on my mac, and I made sure that I didn't check the documents and desktop on this mac to transfer to my icloud, because I don't need them anywhere else other than this laptop. but they still transferred and now I can't open them unless they're completely downloaded on icloud which take for ever plus I don't want to use up all my icloud storage. i've been trying to move them out by checking the box in icloud setting on and checking it off again, or manually move them out of cloud to the main document section, but it didn't work at all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 1:33 AM

If you turned off iCloud for Documents and Desktop, it created the Archive ICloud file on home drive . ICloud shows no documents on it.

It will prompt the items from this desktop and the documents folder are available in iCloud Drive , to remove items from iCloud Drive , move them to your desktop and documents folder on this Mac , click on show in finder .

Again open system preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > the box of desktops and documents box is unchecked , tap over the box to get it rechecked , a circle rotates setting up the box gets checked .

You will notice a folder is created literally on the desktop , tap it a pop up window appears the items on this desktop on this Mac have been moved into a new folder called “ Desktops - Apples Mac book …( the name of Mac will be written in the existing desktop folder in iCloud Drive , you can combine the contents of these folders any time , click on show in finder .

Right click on the folder created on the Mac and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , but again the documents are placed in a right place in iCloud Drive as well in iCloud server .

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp1774/10.14/mac/10.14

By unchecking the box of desktops and documents - the files and documents created are invisible temporarily both in iCloud Drive and www.icloud.com but they are not deleted from the server and still occupying the space .

You can drag and drop folders with its own subfolders to some other locations as described in the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Read Organise files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2021 1:33 AM in response to pegah192

If you turned off iCloud for Documents and Desktop, it created the Archive ICloud file on home drive . ICloud shows no documents on it.

It will prompt the items from this desktop and the documents folder are available in iCloud Drive , to remove items from iCloud Drive , move them to your desktop and documents folder on this Mac , click on show in finder .

Again open system preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > the box of desktops and documents box is unchecked , tap over the box to get it rechecked , a circle rotates setting up the box gets checked .

You will notice a folder is created literally on the desktop , tap it a pop up window appears the items on this desktop on this Mac have been moved into a new folder called “ Desktops - Apples Mac book …( the name of Mac will be written in the existing desktop folder in iCloud Drive , you can combine the contents of these folders any time , click on show in finder .

Right click on the folder created on the Mac and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , but again the documents are placed in a right place in iCloud Drive as well in iCloud server .

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp1774/10.14/mac/10.14

By unchecking the box of desktops and documents - the files and documents created are invisible temporarily both in iCloud Drive and www.icloud.com but they are not deleted from the server and still occupying the space .

You can drag and drop folders with its own subfolders to some other locations as described in the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Read Organise files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

problem with Icloud on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.