Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Folder Files Re-Downloading Suddenly

I have plenty of space on my local hard drive, plenty of space on my iCloud drive, but suddenly on one of my computers it's re-downloading hundreds of my iCloud folders and files - the folders have either the download arrow on them, the empty cloud symbol, or the cloud with an exclamation point.

I didn't change anything, didn't move anything. Why are they being re-downloaded, and what would have removed them or made them unavailable in the first place when they are all local files sitting in my iCloud Drive folder?

I do not have any automated space management turned on, I do not have documents/desktop sync turned on.

Running Big Sur 11.5. (Can't install latest update because the download will never finish, I've tried dozens of times.) I've restarted, I've reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM and run repairs in disk utility.

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.5

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 11:39 AM

Hello Unaha-Closp,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're noticing folders in iCloud Drive are unexpectedly downloaded to your Mac. We'll be happy to help.

You've done a wonderful job with the troubleshooting steps that were performed. You mentioned that you are unable to download the latest version of macOS. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest to verify the recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points to provide the most reliable connection. This may help to complete the update of macOS. Here's an article with the proper steps: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

In addition, we suggest to restart your Mac in safe mode. This helps to verify your startup disk, deletes some system caches and more. Once you're in safe mode, please restart your Mac and see if you continue to notice that the folders for iCloud continue to download on your Mac. Here's how to access safe mode on your Mac: How to use safe mode on your Mac

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2021 11:39 AM in response to Unaha-Closp

Hello Unaha-Closp,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're noticing folders in iCloud Drive are unexpectedly downloaded to your Mac. We'll be happy to help.

You've done a wonderful job with the troubleshooting steps that were performed. You mentioned that you are unable to download the latest version of macOS. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest to verify the recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points to provide the most reliable connection. This may help to complete the update of macOS. Here's an article with the proper steps: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

In addition, we suggest to restart your Mac in safe mode. This helps to verify your startup disk, deletes some system caches and more. Once you're in safe mode, please restart your Mac and see if you continue to notice that the folders for iCloud continue to download on your Mac. Here's how to access safe mode on your Mac: How to use safe mode on your Mac

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Sep 7, 2021 3:21 PM in response to bryanr14

The folders have mostly re-downloaded, but four of them at top level are are stuck with empty cloud symbols on them (more within those) and haven't changed overnight. Have tried restarting, etc. again but no change in those folders. I have 255 GB free on my hard drive, so it isn't a space issue. When I go to look at those folders and files with the empty cloud icon, they are there, and I can open them, despite the icon.

When I safe booted as suggested, I was able to do so and saw the notification that it was booted into safe mode, but the Finder immediately crashed when I tried to open a finder window and gave an error when I tried to reopen it. I couldn't take screenshots so I took photos of the messages I got after safe booting.

Before anyone suggests re-installing macOS, I did that recently already.

iCloud Folder Files Re-Downloading Suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.