Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my Files are ''NOT'' in iCloud?

I have recently reset my MacBook Pro IOS Monetary 12.6. All my files are supposed to be safe on iCloud (as it constantly ''updates'' to iCloud).

The reason (for the reset)was that my 1TB of storage had 632GB of ''other files''...and I thought this was going to ''clear'' MY MACBOOK HD completely?....after reset the ''other files'' are now 413GB?...still too high ''a chunk'' of my 1TB Hard Drive.

Anyway, when I restarted my MacBook Pro I noticed my iCloud had downloaded (fully) and has now used up only 71GB of my hard drive. I have not restored any of my External Hard Drive, (that I backed up my files to) files thus far.....but when I searched for a file this morning?...and opened my folders under iCloud Drive, there are NO files to view or read or download?....How does this iCloud work?Im quite annoyed, as it should be there immediately?...or am I wrong?

Please help. Thanking You in Advance

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 4:36 AM

iCloud syncs files in your iCloud Drive folder and potentially your desktop and documents if you have that feature enabled. Only files in those locations sync. Files stored elsewhere will not sync to iCloud. iCloud is not a backup for your Mac; that’s what Time Machine and external drives are for.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2022 4:36 AM in response to Kevin Bouah

iCloud syncs files in your iCloud Drive folder and potentially your desktop and documents if you have that feature enabled. Only files in those locations sync. Files stored elsewhere will not sync to iCloud. iCloud is not a backup for your Mac; that’s what Time Machine and external drives are for.

All my Files are ''NOT'' in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.