Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't really install Big Sur

It just starts like that, about 85% progressed and 2 hours 17~22 minutes left.

And then well, the progress bar freezes at 100% and the remaining time keeps increasing from 10 hours

Also, I don't have an Ethernet port (I'm in a dormitory) so please don't suggest that.

And yeah the Wi-Fi here is also quite crappy, in fact.

Am I hopeless?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 9:26 PM

KalTa289 Said:

"Can't really install Big Sur: It just starts like that, about 85% progressed and 2 hours 17~22 minutes left. And then well, the progress bar freezes at 100% and the remaining time keeps increasing from 10 hours Also, I don't have an Ethernet port (I'm in a dormitory) so please don't suggest that. And yeah the Wi-Fi here is also quite crappy, in fact. Am I hopeless?"

-------

Please Charily:

Are you updating? Or are you trying to install anew?

Use a USB Bootable Installer:

Create a USB Bootable Installer for Big Sur. (If installing anew, delete the hard drive's partition). Then, install this macOS with it. Go Here: How to Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support. You may need to use another person's Mac to create one.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2021 9:26 PM in response to KalTa289

KalTa289 Said:

"Can't really install Big Sur: It just starts like that, about 85% progressed and 2 hours 17~22 minutes left. And then well, the progress bar freezes at 100% and the remaining time keeps increasing from 10 hours Also, I don't have an Ethernet port (I'm in a dormitory) so please don't suggest that. And yeah the Wi-Fi here is also quite crappy, in fact. Am I hopeless?"

-------

Please Charily:

Are you updating? Or are you trying to install anew?

Use a USB Bootable Installer:

Create a USB Bootable Installer for Big Sur. (If installing anew, delete the hard drive's partition). Then, install this macOS with it. Go Here: How to Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support. You may need to use another person's Mac to create one.

Sep 5, 2021 10:29 PM in response to KalTa289

KalTa289 Said:

"Can't really install Big Sur: I was trying to update and things kept going wrong, I ended up formatting the entire disk and now I'm trying to install a new one. Also I don't really have a USB flash drive, and it will take days even if I ordered it now."

-------

Get a New Flash Drive:

If you were to get a flash drive, get a new one. Do not get a preconfigured one, as it may have malware and such. So, as someone (i.e. friend) if you may format their USB Flash Drive for your own use (making sure they get all over their data off of it).

Ethernet:

Though you don't want to hear about Ethernet, here is the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

Ask for WiFi:

Go to a location where there is a stinger signal. If an available option, use a range extender to amplify the signal.

Can't really install Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.