Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My installation of Big Sur has been stalled for 5 hours. What should I do?

My installation of Big Sur has been stalled for 5 hours. What can I do to complete the installation?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 3:17 PM

I had this problem too. I started around midnight and found the install had stalled this morning. I did a hard reboot and everything came up as normal in the new Big Sur. My question is, something went awry during the installation process, and though nothing bad has manifested itself, I have to wonder, what got missed or didn't get installed properly?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 3:17 PM in response to 27ant

I had this problem too. I started around midnight and found the install had stalled this morning. I did a hard reboot and everything came up as normal in the new Big Sur. My question is, something went awry during the installation process, and though nothing bad has manifested itself, I have to wonder, what got missed or didn't get installed properly?

Nov 16, 2020 9:46 PM in response to 27ant

My update to 11.1 from beta version on MacAir 2020 512Gb SSD has consistently stalled after downloading and then moving into "preparing" at 10 mins to go. (not that I trust this time estimate) I have attempted on three occasions to update and all three have stalled at this point, tried disconnecting all external screens and peripherals - still stalled.

Have connected to Ethernet Cable for internet connection - still stalls

Have done SMC reset - still stalled.

Have done PRAM reset - still stalled

Managed to instal on my iMac 2017 27" with no issues ????

Seems to be an issues with this update as others have installed with no issues

My installation of Big Sur has been stalled for 5 hours. What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.