Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac doesn't start

My Mac recently shut down and I have been trying for hours to get it running again, but all seems to fail. I redownloaded Mac OS, I have done disk utility multiple times, I did the PRAM thing, I unplugged everything etc. Only when I start the computer in safe mode, it starts to run and I can do things, but it's safe mode so many options are unavailable. After safe mode both shutting down or restarting doesn't make my Mac work like it's supposed to. What can I do? I have had this problem multiple times and in the end it always seems to work out but this time I can't get to the login page....

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 6:15 AM

5 replies

Sep 6, 2021 7:24 AM in response to merel_94

Sounds like you have installed some kind of AV, VPN or other software that is preventing a normal startup.

carefully read "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" at > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Try this, startup in Safe Mode and go to Apple > System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and remove any third party AV, VPN, Cleaning or Optimizing software from that list. Then see if the iMac will restart normally.

Also FWIW, macOS has it's own built-in security and the use of third party AV, VPN, Cleaning and Optimizing software, is not needed or recommended.

Sep 6, 2021 11:38 AM in response to den.thed

Hi!

I tried to do this but there were no third party software things on the list. The computer still does not get to the login page. It keeps loading, even after completely erasing the disk and reinstalling mac os. The computer makes a lot of noise while loading but nothing is happening....

Any other things I could try?

Mac doesn't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.