Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone have recommendations for an affordable home AirPrinter to use with an iPad Pro.

Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable, affordable home AirPrinter that’s less than $120?  I only need it for occasional printing from my iPad Pro.  Hewlett-Packard and Canon have positive reviews for some models but the negative ones make me hesitant to buy one.  I don’t want a constant, time-consuming  hassle to just print a one-page document or package label on 8x11 paper.  I have a strong Wifi connection in my home so connectivity will not be an issue.  Printers I considered are:  HP 3755 printer, HP DeskJet 2742e All-in-One Wireless Color Inkjet Printer, HP - DeskJet 2755 Wireless All-In-One Instant Ink-Ready Inkjet Printer, Canon PIXMA TS6250 Series, and Canon - PIXMA TR4520 Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer.   I would greatly appreciate any advice.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 3:09 AM

Other than minor differences in the printer controls and setup between manufacturers, if using AirPrint, one printer works and performs much the same as another.

Assuming that you are looking at an inkjet printer, principal differences are the cost of ink consumables - as these vary widely between printers; some printers use between individual tanks for three colours (cyan, red, yellow plus black), or instead use a three colour combined-cartridge plus black. Individual colour tanks can work our cheaper per-page if you print a lot, whereas a combined cartridge may work our cheaper for occasional low-volume printing (where the ink cartridges may simply dry-out before being depleted of ink).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2021 3:09 AM in response to JLT1024

Other than minor differences in the printer controls and setup between manufacturers, if using AirPrint, one printer works and performs much the same as another.

Assuming that you are looking at an inkjet printer, principal differences are the cost of ink consumables - as these vary widely between printers; some printers use between individual tanks for three colours (cyan, red, yellow plus black), or instead use a three colour combined-cartridge plus black. Individual colour tanks can work our cheaper per-page if you print a lot, whereas a combined cartridge may work our cheaper for occasional low-volume printing (where the ink cartridges may simply dry-out before being depleted of ink).

Sep 7, 2021 5:24 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question! I appreciate your advice. I’m looking for an inkjet printer but my concerns are not about the printer controls or ink since I only need to print a few pages occasionally. I’ve read numerous reviews from frustrated customers saying that HP printers constantly drop the network connection. They have strong home internet connections that consistently support other devices without any problems. One reviewer with a background in IT said there appears to be a bug in HP's firmware. Do you currently use a printer with AirPrint? I’m leaning towards finding one manufactured by Canon. It would be great to hear which ones Apple device owners use and if they’ve had any consistent problems.

Sep 7, 2021 5:51 AM in response to Axel Foley

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question! I appreciate your advice. I’m still researching and find printer reviews helpful, but you’re right that in the end I should trust my own judgment. I can only spend a certain amount on a printer so I’m limited to those costing less than $120.00. Also, as someone who only prints a few pages occasionally buying an expensive printer would not be a wise investment. It’s really about reliability. I’ve read numerous reviews from frustrated customers saying that HP printers constantly drop the network WiFi connection and it’s very time-consuming to re-establish it before printing. The issue appears to be with the HP printers since the reviewers stated they have strong home internet connections that consistently support other devices without any problems. My home WiFi service is excellent and it would be so frustrating to have an AirPrinter that couldn’t maintain a network connection when I just need to quickly print a few pages from my iPad. One reviewer with a background in IT said there seems to be a bug in HP's firmware. Do you currently use a printer with AirPrint? I’m leaning towards finding one manufactured by Canon. It would be great to hear which ones Apple device owners use and if they’ve had any consistent problems.

Sep 7, 2021 4:39 PM in response to JLT1024

JLT1024 wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question! I appreciate your advice. I’m looking for an inkjet printer but my concerns are not about the printer controls or ink since I only need to print a few pages occasionally. I’ve read numerous reviews from frustrated customers saying that HP printers constantly drop the network connection. They have strong home internet connections that consistently support other devices without any problems. One reviewer with a background in IT said there appears to be a bug in HP's firmware. Do you currently use a printer with AirPrint? I’m leaning towards finding one manufactured by Canon. It would be great to hear which ones Apple device owners use and if they’ve had any consistent problems.

I do regularly use an HP Deskjet (inkjet) printer - although the printer itself does not support AirPrint. My Apple devices do use AirPrint to submit print jobs via an AirPrint Print Server (Lantronix xPrintServer) installed on my local ethernet network.

AirPrint printing issues, should they occur, are frequently due to issues with the WiFi Router unexpectedly dropping Apple Bonjour data packets on you local network - or your WiFi Router or Network Switch blocking this device discovery protocol.

The Apple Bonjour protocol uses mDNS (Multicast DNS) UDP port 5353.

Unless skilfully diagnosed, any negative reviews/reports that you encounter may be mis-diagnose a Printer fault - and not necessarily/correctly attribute the problem to a network communication issue.

Does anyone have recommendations for an affordable home AirPrinter to use with an iPad Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.