Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sometimes there is no ringtone sound or message sound. Sometimes there is. I tried switching phones and sometimes it happens on the other phone too, but not as often. Even the flash on the back doesn't come on.

Why do my ringtones or message alerts not always sound? This is on an iPhone11

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 3:25 PM

Hello,

See these steps:

1. Is the side silent mute button on? Does any red show? Slide it back and fourth.
  2. How about the volume buttons? Is the volume very low? Move the buttons.
  3. Is Do Not Disturb on? Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb. Is it turned on? Check the times.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.
  5. Go to Settings > Notifications. Is the app listed?
  6. Do other sounds work? What about phone calls? 
  7. Do you have an Apple watch? Many of the notifications will go to the watch instead of the phone.

Note: you can send text messages to yourself for testing purposes.

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2021 3:25 PM in response to jrfromflorida

Hello,

See these steps:

1. Is the side silent mute button on? Does any red show? Slide it back and fourth.
  2. How about the volume buttons? Is the volume very low? Move the buttons.
  3. Is Do Not Disturb on? Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb. Is it turned on? Check the times.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.
  5. Go to Settings > Notifications. Is the app listed?
  6. Do other sounds work? What about phone calls? 
  7. Do you have an Apple watch? Many of the notifications will go to the watch instead of the phone.

Note: you can send text messages to yourself for testing purposes.

Good luck.

Sometimes there is no ringtone sound or message sound. Sometimes there is. I tried switching phones and sometimes it happens on the other phone too, but not as often. Even the flash on the back doesn't come on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.