Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rename Combined PDFs using User Input in Automator

I'm trying to setup a very simple automator action. I want to be able to drop two PDF files into a an action folder, OR use a quick action, I don't really care, but here's what I want it to do.

1. Combine the PDFs
  2. Prompt the user for a new file name for the newly created file.
  3. Rename that file.
  4. Move that now renamed file to the desktop. (At which point Hazel will take over and move it to where it needs to be based on the name.)

This seems like it should be super simple, but trying to add in variables/values for the rename just doesn't work. The best result I've gotten so far is the new combined document showing up on my desktop, but with a wholly random file name.

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 6:06 AM

This Quick Action workflow combines the PDF in the order selected in the Finder, prompts the user for a new basename for the combined PDF, and then renames it on the Desktop. I named my QA "Select and Combine PDF in the Finder." Tested on macOS 11.5.2.

Similar questions

3 replies

Rename Combined PDFs using User Input in Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.