Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator and combining PDFs

In the last century I created an Automator script for combining  PDFs into one document.  This technique was far more reliable than trying to drag separate PDFs into the Thumbnails of Preview.

The three steps in my script are:

1. Get Specified Finder Items
  2. Combine PDF pages
  3. Move Finder Items.

This script worked well for years.  Now it doesn’t.  

Here is what I have been doing.  First I saved my script.  Automator labeled the script as a workflow and saved it in the Workflow folder of my User Library.

If I had not run Automator too often, the workflow would appear under File > Open Recent.

If I had run Automator often enough that the workflow disappeared from my “recents,” I could go to ~Library > Workflows and activate the saved workflow there.

That step does not work anymore.  Now when I run the workflow I get this dialog box:

Today I recreated the three-step process as both Quick Action and Application.  It still does not work.  I get these dialog boxes:

I must confess.  I never did fully understand Automator.  I got as far as getting it to do what I wanted.  And that is as far as I got. Now I cannot go ever that far.  

I asked this question last year.   The suggestion then was to create a Quick Action.   Automator and combining PDFs - Apple Community.   To the extent that I understand that instruction, here is the result:

Is it still possible to program Automator to operate these three functions on command:

1. Get Specified Finder Items
  2. Combine PDF pages
  3. Move Finder Items.

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 12:36 PM

Copy/paste beats learning AppleScript. 😉

Another approach, without any coding is that the Finder already has a Quick Action available to you, so all you have to do is select the multiple PDF in the order you want them combined, right-click on the first selected PDF, and from the secondary menu item Quick Actions => Create PDF. This will write a new combined PDF to your Desktop bearing the basename of the first PDF selection and a date/time stamp.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 12:36 PM in response to R_55a

Copy/paste beats learning AppleScript. 😉

Another approach, without any coding is that the Finder already has a Quick Action available to you, so all you have to do is select the multiple PDF in the order you want them combined, right-click on the first selected PDF, and from the secondary menu item Quick Actions => Create PDF. This will write a new combined PDF to your Desktop bearing the basename of the first PDF selection and a date/time stamp.

Jul 22, 2022 1:38 PM in response to R_55a

The Automator action to combine PDFs was broken (and remains broken) when Apple removed Python 2.7.18 from macOS 12.3.1. Inside that Automator action was a complicated Python script that was dependent on the presence of that specific Python implementation.

Instead, In April 2022, I posted an AppleScript solution, and another contributor posted a Shortcut solution as well, that will allow you to combine PDFs.

Automator and combining PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.