Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch won’t pair? Says iphone needs to be updated but it is!

I factory reset my Apple Watch series 2 and tried to pair it to my new iPhone XR. It says the watch has to be updated then keeps taking me to a screen that says my phone must be updated first but it’s up to date. Worked with Apple support and did all the restarts, delete and re-downloaded the watch app and still the same issue. Anyone ever seen this before or have any ideas?!

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 1:14 AM

If you can't pair an Apple Watch with your iPhone

3 replies

Sep 9, 2021 4:06 AM in response to Xoxbrianaxox

Update: after troubleshooting with 2 Apple care reps I was instructed to see an apple care provider who told me there is a bug with iOS 14.7.1 where it’s unable to update an older watchOS. He said another phone with an older iOS would need to be used to update the watchOS then I could pair it with my phone.

A senior Apple rep told me iwatch 2 is just not compatible and I won’t be able to use it at all. Yet another rep told me I can us it and ordered me to send it to Apple to update.

Apple Watch won’t pair? Says iphone needs to be updated but it is!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.