Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer just iOS files from my MacBook Pro to iCloud?

Hi, I don't want to use iCloud for photos, etc, I just noticed that iOS files are taking up a LOT of my 2013 MBP drive space and I want to transfer them to iCloud without syncing anything else.

Is there a tutorial or a way to do this please?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 5:22 AM

Hi tomb,

Thank you for taking the time to post your question to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your "iOS files" are taking up too much space on your MacBook Pro, and that you're looking for a solution to transfer them to iCloud.

To confirm, are the iOS files you're referring to backups of your devices? If so, we wouldn't recommend editing, relocating, renaming, or extracting content from these files, as these actions could potentially ruin them. Check out the "Find backups stored on your Mac or PC" section of this article for more details: Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

As an alternative, to conserve space on your MacBook Pro, you can back up your iOS devices to iCloud. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iCloud

If needed, the first link posted above provides steps to delete old backups on your Mac. We hope this helps.

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 5:22 AM in response to tomb

Hi tomb,

Thank you for taking the time to post your question to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your "iOS files" are taking up too much space on your MacBook Pro, and that you're looking for a solution to transfer them to iCloud.

To confirm, are the iOS files you're referring to backups of your devices? If so, we wouldn't recommend editing, relocating, renaming, or extracting content from these files, as these actions could potentially ruin them. Check out the "Find backups stored on your Mac or PC" section of this article for more details: Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

As an alternative, to conserve space on your MacBook Pro, you can back up your iOS devices to iCloud. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iCloud

If needed, the first link posted above provides steps to delete old backups on your Mac. We hope this helps.

Take care!

Sep 11, 2021 5:11 AM in response to racheals14

Thank you Racheals14, that was very useful. Backups are now not accessed quite how I'd have expected them to be and it's a little scary deleting a backup from just the local drive but I've now done this and freed up 23Gb of iPhone storage from a MBP with a total max storage of 256Gb. Very happy 🙂

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.