Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer crashed. MRT high CPU. Do I have/did I have malware or is this just an update?

Hi all,

Central Question: MRT suddenly ran and crashed my computer. I see no other signs of suspicious activity and Malwarebytes came up dry. Is this a sign that my computer was/is infected or am I just paranoid?

Situation and context: I was at college when my computer suddenly froze. I thought that this was temporary and attempted to keep working. After about 5 seconds, I realized that it wasn't temporary. I used the Touch Bar to lock the screen as it was the only function of my machine that worked properly. From there, I logged in again using my fingerprint. I did this 2 times. After that, the machine turned off entirely (hard crash, not sleep) and rebooted itself. When I logged back in, activity monitor said that MRT was taking up 90% of my CPU. After 2-3 seconds, however, the program was no where to be found on my activity monitor so I didn't get a chance to check other categories like memory. From the brief seconds that I had, I saw nothing suspicious (no strange/unfamiliar processes). However, this experience spooked me a bit as my family has had some hack/malware problems in the past few months.

Additionally, I keep a copy of Malwarebytes on my machine and I've run scans with that. It comes up empty. I'm careful about clicking links and I think that I've got a reasonably secure machine for a non-tech wizard. I do much of my work on an standard account instead of an admin account (don't know if that helps).

The only software that I've knowingly and willingly downloaded and/or installed on my machine:

• Discord
    • Xcode
    • BBEdit
    • Malwarebytes
    • NordVPN
    • Office365
    • Brave Browser
    • Spotify
    • Tor Browser (Never ran the installer)
    • Mozilla Firefox

Please tell me if I'm just paranoid... I won't be offended!

Technical Information:

• MacBook Pro 13.3in 2560 x 1600
    • M1 Chip
    • 16GB memory
    • macOS BigSur v11.5.2

Thanks!!

-Talia

Resources I've Accessed:

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 10:14 AM

TaliaRaeFrost wrote:

Hi all,

Central Question: MRT suddenly ran and crashed my computer. I see no other signs of suspicious activity and Malwarebytes came up dry. Is this a sign that my computer was/is infected or am I just paranoid?

< NordVPN >

If this is a one off anomaly I would not be so concerned.

Apple Malware: Uncovering the Mysterious Removal (MRT)

If you have on going concerns—You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

I will add—Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

these are all known to cause issues on the macOS.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2021 10:14 AM in response to TaliaRaeFrost

TaliaRaeFrost wrote:

Hi all,

< NordVPN >

If this is a one off anomaly I would not be so concerned.

Apple Malware: Uncovering the Mysterious Removal (MRT)

If you have on going concerns—You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

I will add—Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

these are all known to cause issues on the macOS.

Computer crashed. MRT high CPU. Do I have/did I have malware or is this just an update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.